Views
Helpful
Replies

Change distance metric of static route [IOS XR]

HieuDT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have met a strange behavior of AD routing on ASR9k router.

I have two same routes. The first route by config static route and has AD 1 by default and the second route is learned via iBGP with AD 200.

The first route will be active with a smaller AD, then I change the AD of the static route to 201. The result is static route remains active. It's not how AD is supposed to work.

If I delete the static route and add a new one with AD 201, the BGP route will be active.

Is it a mechanism or a bug?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Soon you have AD 201, the BGP should be active and work as expected

again as you mentioned this could be bug - what IOS XR version ? and what device model ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The device is ASR9010 with OS XR 6.4.2

When you configure a static route with an AD of 1 and then you configure another static route with an AD of 201 then both routes would be in the config and the router would use the static route with an AD of 1 still. It could be configuring the same static route does NOT override the original static route. It works when you delete the static route because you're removing the entry. 

Can you test this. Configure 2 static routes with different AD's and then do a show run or show ip route static. They should both be in there. If you want to change the AD of a single static route you need to delete the original and add the one you want.

-David

I'm sure the 201 AD route replaced the 1 AD, confirmed with the command show route. 

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Did u apply changes using Commit  command? 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Yes, I confirmed by show route command and the new static route has AD 201

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card