Views
Helpful
Replies

Check the whole subnet 10.246.28.0/22 MAC address

acbennyma
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

My aims is to check the whole MAC address of 10.246.28.0/22. How can I get it fastest. I don't want to ping each ip to check it.

I have tried to login to local router to ping the whole subnet 10.246.28.0 or 10.246.31.255,  Is it work ? I don't know why there is something like 10.230.x.x will come out.

6 Replies 6

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

If I were going to do this I would download and use a ping sweeper to ping a target range. You could then access your router or switch were the /22 resides and run a

Show ARP | inc 10.246.28
Show ARP | inc 10.246.29
..... ect .....

This should get all the Mac addresses on the ARP table for each subnet. I would run the command in /24 blocks to make the output easier to read and follow.

Note that there are some ping sweepers that can resolve DNS name, IP, and MAC in one utility.

Toby

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

-Toby

Please don't forget to rate any helpful post.

Hello,

Use a telnet/ssh client such as putty,

connect to the switch via putty via telnet or console.

enable logging in putty via the configure option and specify a destination for you output file.

on switch

term len 0

sh mac address-table

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Any command that I can exclude Gi0/1 and Fa0/5 so that the output result will not contain Gi0/1 and Fa0/5

switch#sh mac address-table | exclude Gi0/1
Mac Address Table
-------------------------------------------

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports
---- ----------- -------- -----
All 0100.0ccc.cccc STATIC CPU
All 0100.0ccc.cccd STATIC CPU
All 0180.c200.0000 STATIC CPU
All 0180.c200.0001 STATIC CPU
All 0180.c200.0002 STATIC CPU
All 0180.c200.0003 STATIC CPU
All 0180.c200.0009 STATIC CPU
328 0001.e6a1.01e9 DYNAMIC Fa0/5
328 0017.a498.9fe6 DYNAMIC Fa0/20
328 0023.7d50.9d85 DYNAMIC Fa0/1
328 0023.7dba.370a DYNAMIC Fa0/9

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

I wasn't sure if this was another question or a follow up but in either case you case use the | command for a second time as a logical OR function. So you can use this regular expression in your search to exclude the Gig0/1 and Fa0/5 in your search. Try this to exclude the two interfaces in your search:

show arp | e Gi0/1|Fa0/5

Notice the second pipe (|) command is acting as an OR statement to exclude either of those interfaces.

Let me know if this works and please rate if this is helpful.

Toby

-Toby

Points awarded for the second pipe tip!

HTH

Paul

****Please rate useful posts****

HTH Paul ****Please rate useful posts****

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

I was just following up to see if you still had questions or any issues on this topic. If so please post them and we can sort it out. If not could you please close the topic as answered and rate any helpful posts.

Thank you,
Toby

-Toby