Replies

Cisco 2921 Router Wan configuration

ajay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a Cisco 2921 Router,

with 3 giga interfaces

i have a leased line for the internet with a public ip address and i want to configure this router as NAT /PAT gateway, so that users in my network can ue the internet by the router,

my wan interface is g0/0 - ip 122.xx.xx.xx

lan is g 0/1 -- 192.168.1.1 /24

please advice me the configuration.

i have tried doing nat once but i was not able to make the wan port up.

using cisco CP when i test the interface it givves error and i dont get internet to my users.

Please guide the configuration.

Thanks

Ajay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jose Bogantes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ajay,

Please try the following commands and let me know the results:

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 1 interface GigabitEthernet0/0 overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gigabitEthernet 0/0

Regards.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ajay,

I would strongly recommend to not post here Public IPs. You can just simply replace it with 122.X.X.X. So everybody would understand that it is public IP not private.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Jose Bogantes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ajay,

Please try the following commands and let me know the results:

Regards.

Need to include the following to what Jose has provided:

interface g0/0

ip nat outside

interface g0/1

ip nat inside

Hi Turnera,

Very useful piece of information. Thanks for adding that part of the configuration!!!

The suggested static route is somewhat problematic. It MIGHT work but it might not work. And even if it works there are some issues with it.

The problems involve static routes that just point to the outbound interface where the outbound interface is Ethernet (or various flovors of Ethernet such as GigEthernet).

The effect of this configuration is that the router must ARP for every destination to which it will forward packets and that brings up several problems:

- for this to work at all requires that the next hop router must have enabled proxy arp. And increasingly organizations are disabling proxy arp believing that it is a security weakness. So the chances are increasing that this will just not work.

- even if it does work there are several other aspects that are not desirable

- the router must ARP for every destination and this will result in increased CPU load from processing all the ARP request and ARP response messages.

- the router must maintain the ARP table based on the responses and so there will be increased load on the CPU from the effort to maintain the ARP table.

- it will increase memory utilization since the ARP table will now contain an ARP entry for each remote destination for which the router has forwarded traffic and that potentially is a lot of ARP entries.

It is much better practice to specify the next hop address when configuring a static route that will go out an Ethernet interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ajay
Level 1
Level 1

thanks All for the given info. and after doing the same now my nat seems working , but from my clients , they are able to ping the websires and dns address given, but no web page are opend,

like from client 1 if i ping to google.com - i am able to get the reply but whel i try to eopn google.com web site i am not able to.

it ther any thing in the accss list to be configued , please advoice me the same thanks a lot.

Hi,

Post sanitized config .

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

There might be some sort of ACL that could block web browsing.

Here is simple verification(but remove public IPs):

sh run int g0/0

sh run int g0/1

sh access-list

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Hello Ajay,

If there are no ACLs related to that behavior, the issue could be related to TCP MSS. The idea is to reduce the TCP MSS value under the LAN interface. You can use 1452 to start but if the PC cannot load the webpages yet, you could use a smaller value:

interface Gig0/0

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

If you need more information, you can check the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t4/feature/guide/ft_admss.html

Regards.

FYI ...

Complete configuration:

interface g0/0 ---> WAN interface

ip nat outside

interface g0/1 --> LAN interface

ip nat inside

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card