cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4000 Can't access some websites, can ping, DNS/SSL error?

mR_Slug
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i've followed all the guides and forum posts but there seems to be something off on my configuration. I cant access certain sites via the router. Google yes, duckduckgo no. I had wondered if it is an ssl issue? Perhaps my DNS config is wrong?

It allows a vpn connection through it (windows client/no VPN config on the router), which allows me to talk to you now. So there's is a solid VDSL connection that allows data passage. However clients without the vpn have these issues.

The router replaces my rubbish ISP one. One thing i noticed, the old one resolved the DNS name of its self to whatever was supplied by the ISP (on the ISP side). Its typically something long with the ISP's name in it. Now I assume this is configured by the ISP. Only dns config on the cisco is a hostname "dsl". Does this bleed through to the ISP side (nat outside)?

Maybe im looking in the wrong place. Is there anything that would cause this error?

cleaned config included. I thing i'm 99% there but i've made an error.

Please help

6 Replies 6

Add other DNS server vai

Ip name-server <>

And also sure you run command 

Ip domain-lookup

MHM

i have the nameserver configured for 8.8.8.8

i was informed to setup dns like this

ip dns server
ip dns spoofing 192.168.1.201

Is this incorrect?

Yoh can not access site via router or via client connect to router?

MHM

yes i can't access SOME sites on clients. Google works, but startpage doesn't. If i do a search in google, then try to visit another site the connection times out??

clients-router-internet-Web sites 
if that correct then you need two command 
ip dns server <<- since you config router interface ip as dns server in dhcp pool of client 
ip domain-lookup 
ip name-server 8.8.8.8 
ip name-server 8.8.4.4 <<- additional google dns server in case first one is busy 

MHM

or you can make client directly use dns 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 by config under dhcp pool 
dns-server 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 

this second way is best since it to full the router memory with dns cache 

up to you you can decide which is best for you 

thanks 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card