Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 877 Router could not enter into privilege exec mode

Rabnawaz Anwar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem that when I telnet a router ip.It prompts for username and password.After entering username and password the router enter into exec mode with  > prompt.But when trying to enter in privelege exec mode by typing en or enable it gives error:

"Translating "en" %unknown command or computer name.or unable to find computer address".

This problem started on removing easyvpn configuration which include aaa new model configurations.

Please help to get rid of this problem.The router is in production environment and have remote and console access.             

11 Replies 11

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

As far as i know the problem is in your IOS ...try to to upgrade or re-install your IOS ... hope it will work ....

---

Posted by WebUser Atif Hussain from Cisco Support Community App

How to upgrade ios? and if upgrading will effect running config?

How will I upgrade ios in this scenario when I could not enter into router privilege mode???

Hi,

You can try telnettting/sshing like this:

username@ip-address of the router (example; user1@10.1.1.1) and then just type in your password. Maybe that helps

I am puzzled why removing easy vpn or aaa new-model would have this result. Does the command show privilege work on this router?

Does it make any difference if you spell the complete word enable rather than trying the abbreviation?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes the show privilege command works on it and displays:

"Current Privilege level is 1"

Also it make no difference by typing full word enable.

You might have to reset the device to the factory default depending on what is configured regarding access privileges. Did you try telnetting with the username@router-ip? Also did you try console access versus telnet access versus ssh access?

Please post some outputs and after issuing who

Please also add your backup config (you can hide the ip addresses) so we can check the issue

hi,

i suspect you've forgot to remove or modify command lines associated with AAA. you should've also created fallback authentication which uses the router's local database.

the error from your initial post is due your limited user level and the 'ip domain-lookup' command doing its job.

John

Here is part of the original post

"Translating "en" %unknown command or computer name.or unable to find computer address".

I have difficulty in understanding how you interpret the failure to recognize the en/enable commands as a result of limited user level and the "ip domain-lookup" command.

In user mode en or enable should be recognized as a valid command and should not cause a DNS lookup.

The original post indicates that this is a production router and that there is both remote access and console access. So I would ask whether the symptoms are the same when access is via telnet, via ssh , and via console?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rick,

Yes, you're right with regards to issuing the 'enable' command should be valid and wouldn't cause a DNS lookup. However, I only did assume since no config was given and only highly suspect AAA as the main culprit.

We wouldn't know if it's the IOS or the AAA server won't allow the user to execute the said command unless OP provides more insight on his network setup.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

John

I agree that the original poster needs to provide additional information if we are to be able to figure out this problem.

One of my first thoughts was similar to yours in thinking that it might be a problem with aaa. But the more I think about it the more puzzled I am at what it could be in aaa that would make the device not recognize en or enable as valid commands.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: