Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Failover Between Router

ankitohc
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello Team,

I have created a test lab where I have to configure failover between two routers. Can I use VRRP on core layer? If yes how can do that?

I will also configure HSRP on l3 LAYER

ankitohc_0-1701399299057.png

5 Replies 5

Hsrp and vrrp needed l2 to work

And there is

Each Routers connect to l3sw via two links 

So you need to put each linls in separate vlan on l3sw and then you can config vrrp in Routers

For both l3sw add two static route 

One toward hsrp vip of first group of router 

Second toward hsrp vip of second group of router with ad 100

That it

MHM

@David Ruess  Well, I guess default gateway would be the SVI (L3 Switch) as I don't want to increase the hope count for my end points but how can I configure the redundancy on router using two ISP like failover if one router goes down another will take charge.

For host yes the GW will be your SVI.

Do config as I mention above and test failed of router and links

For both l3sw add two static route 

One toward hsrp vip of first group of router 

MHM

You can use a tracked object to decrement your FHRP configuration. essentially you create a tracked object that "checks" the reachability of an IP address/device. Then you attach it to your FHRP and decrement the priority by a certain amount so the other Switch becomes the active. Here is some documentation for it:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2sb/feature/guide/sbaiptrk.html

-David

Hello,

Usually you would only use one or the other depending on the requirement. The First Hop Redundancy Protocols need a L2 link to be able to send multiact messages to ensuring neighbor reachability.

You can configure HSRP/VRRP on the Distribution switches if you configure SVI for the VLAN on each device. If you use this method you'd need to configure either a default route or routing neighborships with the Core routers to be able to pass traffic.

You could also configure HSRP/VRRP on the Core devices on the interfaces pointing towards the LAN with either the interface or subinterface if you need to support multiple VLANS. If you use the routers you will get a bit more functionality as far as features on each FHRP and what settings you can configure.

Hope that helps

-David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card