cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring an 3845

KDSM
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure a 3845-MB as a fall back device to the one that is currently running in production and I can't seem to get some of the configuration to work.  I started out by making a copy (to a text file) of the running config and just applying it to the back up device. That work with the following exceptions.  On voice-port 0/2/0:23 and voice-port 0/2/1:23 I can't get this config line to apply "echo-cancel coverage 64".  I have enabled echo-cancel on both ports (echo-cancel enable) but get an error when trying the other command  "Invalid input detected at '^' marker" it's pointing to the 64.  There are 4 other voice ports that have this configured. 

The other configuration issue I'm having are with the following lines. 

call-manager-fallback
secondary-dialtone 9
max-conferences 8 gain -6
transfer-system full-consult
ip source-address 192.168.1.2 port 2000
max-ephones 450
max-dn 800 dual-line
default-destination 2100
voicemail 1000
call-forward busy 1000
call-forward noan 1000 timeout 24
moh music-on-hold.au

I don't get an error on the first command line but all the rest show up with invalid input detected line.

As back ground I was asked to support this device and other switches and router when the employee that normally does it moved to a different company. So any help would be greatly appreciated. 

17 Replies 17

Hello,

I am afraid you are stuck. The 3845 is end of life as of 2011. So it is a very old device, most likely with a very outdated IOS version that does not support all commands. What is the production device ? Can you post the output of:

sh ver

from both ?

Hi;

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Attached are the versions from both devices.

Hello,

odd, since the backup router has (almost) the identical IOS version. Maybe you can do the following: erase the entire configuration from the 3845 backup router (using the 'wr erase' command), then reboot the router, and enter everything manually (hopefully the configuration file is not too big)...

Hi;

the configuration is quite long but if this works it will be worth the effort. 

Give it a try. Another option, thinking about it, would be - if manually entering everything still doesn't work) - to copy the IOS from the production to the backup router.

Also, the backup router seems to have less memory...not sure if that is related...

So this problem has popped up.  when entering 

ip ssh time-out 60
ip ssh authentication-retries 2
ip ssh version 2
I get the error "Please create RSA keys (of atleast 768 bits size) to enable ssh v2.

Hello,

looks like you manually need to create the key:

DIS-MDF-MO-CR#conf t

DIS-MDF-MO-CR(config)# crypto key generate rsa 768

Just as an update entering stuff by hand didn't help....

Perhaps the DSP modules in this router don't support that length of echo cancellation coverage. On the voice port, try "echo-cancel coverage ?" and see what options it gives you.

when adding that command the response is "Incomplete command" however if I do echo-cancel coverage 64 no error is returned.

also I have 4 other voice ports that the command shows were it doesn't 

voice-port 0/0/0:23
echo-cancel coverage 64
!
voice-port 0/1/0:23
echo-cancel coverage 64
!
voice-port 0/2/0:23
!
voice-port 0/0/1:23
echo-cancel coverage 64
!
voice-port 0/1/1:23
echo-cancel coverage 64
!
voice-port 0/2/1:23

thanks for you input.

If you do a "show inv" in the new and old router, is there a difference in the number of DSP modules available? Your config snippet these shows 6 PRI interface which would require at least 138 DSP channels.

I did the show inv on both and they are not the same.  The back up unit is missing and PVDMII and has a MFT-EC-64 that's not in the other unit.

I have attached text files for both units.

Assuming low to flex complexity, you can create (6) PRI interfaces with 192 PVDM channels available. The MFT-EC means the card has a hardware echo cancellation module. It varies by platform and hardware as to if it available and how long coverage it can support. I think "echo-cancel enable" is default on a voice port. If the hardware supports it, entering " echo-cancel coverage ?" at the voice will tell you what length of coverage your hardware supports. This is an example of echo cancellation enabled in a 2911 voice gateway.

voice-port 0/0/0:23
 echo-cancel coverage 64
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card