Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring MLPPP with local Point-to-Point T1's

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I am looking into bringing up a remote site about 3-4 miles from my Data Center on 4 local
Point-to-Point T1 circuits. These are local Pt-to-Pt T1's so there will be 4 T1's at each end and I'll be providing my own IP
addresses. These T1's will be set up in a bundle with total bandwidth of 6MB using
Multi-link PPP. Can someone share some documentation on how to configure MLPPP on these type of circuits ?

Also, Could someone explain the benefits/differences in using MLPPP verse IMA in this scenario ?

Thank you so much in advance !!! I appreciate and inputs / suggestions !!!

D.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can't you get MetroE instead ? Or MPLS. That would be so infinitely better.

Less hardware.

Less configuration.

Less trouble when T1 doesn't work but telco says it does.

Less trouble when MLPPP behaves strangely but you don't know why, and neither Cisco does.

And some more ...

Hi Paolo, thanks for your response !!!

I understand what you're saying, however these local T1's are very cheap and will do the job for what we need.

D.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting   offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no    implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.    Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of   this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever     (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such   damage.

Posting

Been a while since I've configured MLPPP.  Don't recall the exact configuration statements but doesn't take many; 3 or so?

MLPPP vs. IMA, the latter, incurs ATM overhead, figure about 15%.  The latter is done in hardware, the former in software (take that into account when sizing the platform).  The latter, I think(?) can use all links for the same packet (that's been broken into cells), the former requires additional configuration (fragmentation) to enable similar capability (and may further increase CPU hit).

You could also equal cost route across the four links.  By default, this won't increase the effective bandwidth for a single flow, although you can force a flow to be split across the four links (which I would not recommend!).

JosephDoherty wrote:

the former (MLPPP) requires additional configuration (fragmentation) to enable similar capability (and may further increase CPU hit).

Add likely will introduce instability and odd behavoirs that apparently (and unfortunately), Cisco hasn't been able to resolve in more of 10 years of having the feature. Just search on the subject or ask a friend TAC engineer.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic today, but I think one's time is too precious to waste it fighting problems when there are smooth design alternatives (single big pipe).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card