cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting second adsl line to cisco 877 with router.

Ga22at1709
Level 1
Level 1

Hope someone can help with a very annoying problem.

I have a cisco 877 w router that is connected to the internet on line 2 (call this ISP2)

I have a draytek router connected to the internet on line 1 (Call this ISP1)

All our pcs are connected to a switch and use ISP1 for the internet.

What I would like to know is is there anyway I can connect the cisco to the switch and use ISP2 as a failover if ISP1 goes down (happens quite often).

I have connected the cisco  to the switch and can ping the draytek from a laptop connected to the fastethernet port on the cisco and can also get on the internet.

I am not sure if I will have to swap the routers around to make use of PBR as have tried it the way they are setup and it does not work( or I just haven't set it up properly).

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Gareth

2 Replies 2

mhnedirli
Level 1
Level 1

hi, 

what is your switch? you can use vrrp if your drytek router supports or you can connect your drytek router to the cisco and define two static routes with different metrics on the cisco router and use the cisco as default gateway. 

Hi , 

Define two different default route on your 877 router , primary default route via your draytek router with track command along with IP SLA , second default route via 877 router 

From your 877 Router define IP SLA Pinging your ISP1 Provider DNS IP address , point static route for that DNS server via draytek  router .

On this condition if your ISP 1 fails down , IP SLA will fails route will be removed from your 877 router . secondary default route will be into action forwarding your internet traffic .

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 track 1 (draytek router)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer 0 (secondary ISP WAN IP address)

ip route 4.2.x.x 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1 ( dns server of ISP 1) 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsla_c/hsicmp.html

HTH

Sandy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card