cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert a T1 connection to Ethernet?

wilddoktor-sp
Level 1
Level 1

I need to convert a T1 connection to Ethernet, and then plug the Ethernet into a vendor-configured SonicWall TZ205.  Seems like there should be a simple "media converter" type box that could do that for me, but I haven't found anything like that.

I have a spare cisco 1841 with a dsu/csu WIC...but am a complete cisco novice.

Is there a way to use that 1841 to accomplish my goal? Or, does anybody know of a media converter box that would do it?

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Not sure how far ths works for your scenario. Found this thru 'google' search..

http://www.rad.com/10/T1-Serial-and-Ethernet-Interface-Converter/3214/

all the best.

Thx

MS

Bill

I am not sure that I completely understand your situation and your requirements, but I am thinking that if on your 1841 you turn off ip routing, and then enable bridging on both the T1 interface and an Ethernet interface that the 1841 should convert between the T1 serial and the Ethernet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard, will "no ip route" actually work on this 1841?

If so, any idea what commands I'd use to bridge the serial0/0/0 and fa0/0 interfaces?

Bill

I have not had any reason to test the command on an 1841. But I have used it on other Cisco IOS routers and it worked for them. I have no reason to believe that it will not work on an 1841. If you do try this please post back with the results.

The commands are quite simple. You start by configuring bridge 1 protocol ieee. After the bridge group is established then you just configure bridge-group 1 under both Ethernet and serial interfaces.

You can use this link to see an example of configuring transparent bridging between Ethernet and serial interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk331/tk660/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094471.shtml#ex3

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the info Richard; seems simple enough. I'm looking over the link and not exactly sure what example to zoom in on. It's serial T1 on one side and ethernet on the other side, but I don't know if that means "frame relay" or what.

I've also read elsewhere that encapsulation on the two interfaces may be different. Thoughts on that?

Bill

focus on example 3 which is an example with a simple serial interface and an Ethernet interface which will be what you are trying to do. At least that is what I assume that you are trying to do. Perhaps we should clarify what kind of T1 is this and what kind of traffic is it carrying?

I am not sure that I understand the question about different encapsulation. Clearly the serial line will use some serial encapsulation and the Ethernet will be using Ethernet encapsulation. So yes each interface is using encapsulation that is different from the other. This is not a problem for what you are trying to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So does this look correct, then? I did a sh run and copied part of it:

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

description Ethernet to Sonicwall

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

bridge-group 1

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

shutdown

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Serial0/0/0

description T-1 from provider

no ip address

bridge-group 1

!

ip classless

!

!

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

!

!

!

!

!

control-plane

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

!

Bill

This looks (mostly) pretty good. I do not see the no ip routing command. Since there are no IP addresses in the config perhaps it does not matter. But I would feel better if the config included the no ip routing command.

Also I will comment that this configuration seems to suggest that you are connected to an external CSU/DSU and that the encapsulation of the link is HDLC(the Cisco variety). If those assumptions are correct then the config is good. If not then some adjustment may be needed.

But the most important parts (specifying the bridging protocol and applying bridge-group to the interface) are looking good.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ugh. As it finally turns out, the company with the sonicwall was expecting us to have a router, not a converter.

So we are right now configuring the 1841 as a router, setting up the serial port and the fa0/0 port.

Should be up and running in a few minutes, now that we know what's expected of us!

Sheesh.

Richard, I appreciate your help and will mark your last reply as the answer. :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card