cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Action for Route Maps applied to BGP

martinbuffleo
Level 1
Level 1

Can some one explain to me the expected default action on a route map like this:

router bgp 64516

neighbour x.x.x.x route-map Prepend out

route-map Prepend permit 10

match ip address ACL (10.0.0.0/24)

set as-path prepend 64516

What i found today is that all other networks weren't be advertised

I had to change my config to

router bgp 64516

neighbour x.x.x.x route-map Prepend out

route-map Prepend permit 10

match ip address ACL (10.0.0.0/24)

set as-path prepend 64516

route-map Prepend permit 20

Then the other networks were advertised correctly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Martin,

the way in which route-maps have to be terminated depends on their use:

route-maps used for PBR do not need a last empty clause because the implicit action in this case is normal destination based routing

A route-map used on a BGP session both inbound or outbound is a route filter that decides what routes can be advertised/received to/from the neighbor and allows also to perform some BGP attributes manipulation.

In this case a last empty clause matching anything else is needed if all other routes have to be advertised/received,  because otherwise the filtering action blocks all routes not matching the previous route-map clauses.

So your findings are correct and the way we terminate a route-map is a key point to be taken in account.

Also route-maps used for redistribution are route filters and have to be terminated accordingly.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Martin,

the way in which route-maps have to be terminated depends on their use:

route-maps used for PBR do not need a last empty clause because the implicit action in this case is normal destination based routing

A route-map used on a BGP session both inbound or outbound is a route filter that decides what routes can be advertised/received to/from the neighbor and allows also to perform some BGP attributes manipulation.

In this case a last empty clause matching anything else is needed if all other routes have to be advertised/received,  because otherwise the filtering action blocks all routes not matching the previous route-map clauses.

So your findings are correct and the way we terminate a route-map is a key point to be taken in account.

Also route-maps used for redistribution are route filters and have to be terminated accordingly.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Martin ,

You just need to remember the route-map logic i-e

The route-map command includes an implied deny all clause at the end; to configure a permit all, use the route-map command, with a permit action, but without a match command.

Hope this helps you.

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: