Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

devices shutdown

Hi team,

Just wondering if there is such documentation or reference or guide, if exist, and that's why I posted under this side of the forum,

what I'm looking for if someone can tell me, some sort of order of shutdown

the reason is that we will have an electrical window in the DC, so I know that there are many other factor to consider, but just want an overview of the shutdown order

7 Replies 7

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

For small business routers and switches, we plug them into a UPS, or power line conditioner and let them power off when the power is lost. What is the equipment that you are powering off.  If you have a data center with UCS chassis and many servers, the process can be very different.  You will have to basically list off the equipment you are trying to gracefully shutdown, if you want to receive a good answer.

I see, yeah, let me get the list first,

I see what you mean,

Thanks, brb

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Do a continuous ping to the Cisco appliance;
2. Issue the "reload" command;
3. As soon as the ping response stops, pull the power.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There is no shutdown command for the Cisco router and switches. I never read any documents which will advise us how to shut down the Cisco router or switch or what is best practice?

There is two option but I am not saying which is good. One: Unplug the power cable, Two: Issue a Restart Comand and pull the power cable as soon you lose the Ping

Same time, If you have UCS/Servers then there is an option to shut down.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

@Deepak Kumar wrote:

If you have UCS/Servers then there is an option to shut down.

UCS have CIMC.  If the CIMC is configured, one can issue a power down of the server.

Thanks for correct me

Regards,
Deepak Kumar
Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello

Powerdown

end devices -servers  etc..

access- layer switches 

distribution

core

wan rtrs

Telco circuits

Power up 

reverse powerdown sequence

Suggest leave a few minutes between each  shutdown/restart to make sure each layer-device comes up as expected  - take snapshots of route tables -traceroutes-extended pings - best paths - active interfaces - stackable switch orders device neighbours igp- bgp peers etc..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card