Views
Helpful
Replies

Discontiguous Network ?

rivanfrank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In connection to my last post, I somehow read about the discontiguous network. When I saw the network I made, I think it is a discontiguous network. I thought RIP won't work but I can ping each others host.

Here is my network configured by RIP.

discontiguous.jpg

Can someone enlighten me about discontiguous network? And in my case why did RIP is still sending/receiving route updates?

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you are running RIPv1:

1. In your network regardless of auto-summary option both routers will advertise 192.168.16.0/192.168.8.0 with /24 mask as it is class C network. Because RIPv1 do not advertise with prefixes.

2. There could be a problem if on both sides e.g. subnets 192.168.8.0/25 and 192.168.8.128/25. When router receives update it check whether it has an interface on this subnet. If it has already then it ignores the update. Because these subnets advertised with /24 mask.

RIPv2:

1. version 2, advertise subnets with prefixes. If an update did cross major network boundary with auto-summary option it will summarize subnets. If did not then regardless of auto summary it won't summarize.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

View solution in original post

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

In connection to my last post, I somehow read about the discontiguous network. When I saw the network I made, I think it is a discontiguous network. I thought RIP won't work but I can ping each others host.

Just to make everything clear, yes, the network you have made is indeed a discontiguous network.

But as Abzal have said, it WILL work in any case (RIPv1,RIPv2) because 192.168.x.x are class C networks and as a class C networks - they are expected to have mask of /24.

Best regards,

Jan

Yes, it's correct.

Imagine you have a subnet 10.1.1.0/24 on 10.0.0.2 router.

With RIPv2 there shouldn't be a problem. Because it would arvertise this subnet with a prefix (/24). And 10.0.0.1 router would add it to RIB(routing table).

But with RIPv1 it wouldn't see this subnet because second router would advertise subnet without a prefix, just 10.0.0.0/8. So router would not accept it and to RIB as it has already subnet on interface.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

4 Replies 4

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you are running RIPv1:

1. In your network regardless of auto-summary option both routers will advertise 192.168.16.0/192.168.8.0 with /24 mask as it is class C network. Because RIPv1 do not advertise with prefixes.

2. There could be a problem if on both sides e.g. subnets 192.168.8.0/25 and 192.168.8.128/25. When router receives update it check whether it has an interface on this subnet. If it has already then it ignores the update. Because these subnets advertised with /24 mask.

RIPv2:

1. version 2, advertise subnets with prefixes. If an update did cross major network boundary with auto-summary option it will summarize subnets. If did not then regardless of auto summary it won't summarize.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Just to make everything clear, yes, the network you have made is indeed a discontiguous network.

But as Abzal have said, it WILL work in any case (RIPv1,RIPv2) because 192.168.x.x are class C networks and as a class C networks - they are expected to have mask of /24.

Best regards,

Jan

Thank You!

I understand that RIP will summarize the network to /24 because it is a class c address, I was more concerned in the 10.0.0.0 network and then I realized it will not affect both 192.168.8.0 and 192.168.16.0 network right? Since it is only like a bridge on both network (not a bridge device function). Am i correct?

Thanks.

Yes, it's correct.

Imagine you have a subnet 10.1.1.0/24 on 10.0.0.2 router.

With RIPv2 there shouldn't be a problem. Because it would arvertise this subnet with a prefix (/24). And 10.0.0.1 router would add it to RIB(routing table).

But with RIPv1 it wouldn't see this subnet because second router would advertise subnet without a prefix, just 10.0.0.0/8. So router would not accept it and to RIB as it has already subnet on interface.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card