cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual ISP Bandwidth Agreggation

jimmychia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my name is John. We have 1 uplink connected to a Cisco 1900 series router and another 1 uplink connected to a Cisco 2000 series router. Two uplink from 2 different ISP. 1 uplink has static WAN IP while the other 1 has dynamic WAN IP. They are then link to ASA and then from ASA to switches. My question is how can i configure the routers or ASA to combine the bandwidth of two uplinks

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

There is no way to aggregate the bandwidth, since each connection comes from a different provider and connect to 2 different routers. 

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks for your feedback.

In the case if both uplinks are coming from the same ISP, can we use

1.dual internet links NATing with PBR and IP SLA 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/32186/dual-internet-links-nating-pbr-and-ip-sla

2.Load balancing using Performance Routing pfr/OER

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/32216/load-balancing-using-performance-routing-pfroer

In my case, since the uplinks are from different ISPs, can i do failover on either ASA or the routers, such that when 1 uplink fail, it will automatically be tracked and switch the internet traffic from the 2nd uplink?

Hi John,

You can still configure PBR with IP SLA for link fail over and redundancy with 2 different ISPs.

As for NAT here is what you can do:

Since you have 2 routers with 2 different service providers, terminate one link to 2921 and the second link to 1941.   If you have your own public IP, use it between the firewalls and the routers and have the firewalls do the NAT for you. The outside interface of the firewalls will have public IP and the inside interface private. This is assuming the firewalls are configured in active/stand-by mode.

I have never used pfr/OER.

HTH

hi Reza,

Thanks for the advise.

i have only 1 firewall with 2 router for two uplinks connected to 2 ports on the ASA. Do you have any idea on how to configure that....And the second uplink have dynamic public ip.

Hi John,

It will work the same way with one firewall.  The public IP would be on the outside interface of the firewall and your private IP on the inside.

Usually there are two ways to get public IP addresses.

1-The provider will give you a block to use.  Depending on your need they may give you a /24, larger or smaller.

2-In the U.S You apply for it through (ARIN). Other counties, they have their own registry organization.

The easiest way is to ask the provider to give you a block to use.

HTH

Hi John,

If its  different ISP and you want to load balance and not load share then PFR is the best option. You need to look at the IOS version if PFR is supported.

Below URL would be of more help for you.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/PfR:Technology_Overview

Sathvik

hi Reza,

Unfortunately, we have only dynamic leased public address for the 2nd uplink as per package subscribed.  Is it possible to implement the feature if the ISP can fix the IP?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card