cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dynamic bandwidth with shaping?

lostngone
Level 1
Level 1

We have an ISP connection that is connected via an ethernet interface on a 5510 ASA. We are allotted 10Mbps. I have currently have the interface set to 10Mbps Full. However we want to upgrade the connection to 25Mbps. I know I can set the port speed to 100Mbps and then set a shape/police statement and shape down to 25Mbps.

Here is were it gets complicated.

Management wants to be able to call the ISP and arbitrarily adjust that speed up temporarily at any time without any user/admin intervention on our side. I can simply leave the port at 100Mbps i.e. no shape statement on my side however I will run into problems with large amounts drops, overruns, retransmissions, etc due to the ISP shaping the connection speed during normal operations. However they then could then adjust the speed at any time without needing me.

I do not know the best way to make this work. Is there some sort of dynamic/smart shaper in the ASA or another cisco device? Can someone give me some ideas on the best way to do this or point me in the right direction?

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

lostngone wrote:

We have an ISP connection that is connected via an ethernet interface on a 5510 ASA. We are allotted 10Mbps. I have currently have the interface set to 10Mbps Full. However we want to upgrade the connection to 25Mbps. I know I can set the port speed to 100Mbps and then set a shape/police statement and shape down to 25Mbps.

Management wants to be able to call the ISP and arbitrarily adjust that speed up temporarily at any time without any user/admin intervention on our side. I can simply leave the port at 100Mbps i.e. no shape statement on my side however I will run into problems with large amounts drops, overruns, retransmissions, etc due to the ISP shaping the connection speed during normal operations. However they then could then adjust the speed at any time without needing me.

I do not know the best way to make this work. Is there some sort of dynamic/smart shaper in the ASA or another cisco device? Can someone give me some ideas on the best way to do this or point me in the right direction?

Thank You

There isn't really a "smart" shaper as you put it simply because how would it know what you wanted it to shape to. Without changing the config the device is not going to know you want to shape at a differerent speed.  I'm not aware of any devices that do this simply because the device would need to be telepathic ie. it would need to know that management had just increased the speed and act accordingly.

I am not trying to be facetious but i think you need to explain to management that part of the procedure for increasing the bandwidth would be to inform the network admin so they can adjust the config as necessary.

Or as you say leave it at 100full but as you say you will get a lot of dropped packets etc. as the ISP will be shaping/policing at their end. MIght well be worth explaining to management that for the ISP to increase bandwidth they need to reconfigure their device and so it is only logical you need to.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

lostngone wrote:

Thank You

There isn't really a "smart" shaper as you put it simply because how would it know what you wanted it to shape to. Without changing the config the device is not going to know you want to shape at a differerent speed.  I'm not aware of any devices that do this simply because the device would need to be telepathic ie. it would need to know that management had just increased the speed and act accordingly.

I am not trying to be facetious but i think you need to explain to management that part of the procedure for increasing the bandwidth would be to inform the network admin so they can adjust the config as necessary.

Or as you say leave it at 100full but as you say you will get a lot of dropped packets etc. as the ISP will be shaping/policing at their end. MIght well be worth explaining to management that for the ISP to increase bandwidth they need to reconfigure their device and so it is only logical you need to.

Jon

I have tried explaining it to my managment with no luck.

Cisco is always slipping in new additions/features that I seem to be the last person to find out about. I just wanted to make sure I explored all of my options before trying again.

Thank You

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card