Views
Helpful
Replies

Edge/Border leaf routing in a Data center

s.ram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all-

Our use case is a L3 leaf spine fabric running eBGP within the fabric. (No VxLAN at this point). My question is regarding edge routing. We have a rack dedicated for external connectivity. And external routing protocol is eBGP. In that context, could someone help me with the following questions:

1. Do I distribute the routes learnt from the external router into the fabric? In that case, the leafs in the fabric have all the external routes?

2. Do I have default routes in the leafs to the edge/border leaf, where all the external routing happens?

Thanks for your time.

1 Reply 1

The Leaf switches connected to non VxLAN fabric is call Border Leaf. 

1) redistribution on this leaf router depends upon what routing protocols towards your external(non vxlan) domain. If it’s ospf then you will have to redistribute under the respective bed BGP configuration. If it’s BGP towards external(non vxlan) routing domain the you don’t need to do any redistribution.

2) yes you can get your border leaf switch to advertise a default route towards vxlan fabric if you would like to, that’s also a better way of designing your network.

hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card