Views
Helpful
Replies

enable switching on router

CSCO12798688
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I can't create interface Vlan on my new Cisco1941 router as i understand for this switching functionality should enable but i really don't know how

my router came with built in ipbasek9 and with securityk9 license key and i think now no need any additional license required for switching functionality please help me do this 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As already noted by Gpauwen, unless there's a switch module installed in the router, the router doesn't by default support "switching".

However, possibly it will support bridging (L2) between its routed ports.

Additionally, if you have a switch to connect to the router, a routed port can be configured with subinterfaces that will work with a switch's trunk port (i.e. supporting multiple VLAN interfaces).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

do you have a switch module installed in the router ? Can you post the output of 'show version' ?

Thank you all......

I don't have a switch instead of switch router is directly connected with a windows isa firewall......but i resolved my problem, i configured my interface without vlan.

and it's true i need datak9 license for switching functionality

Best Regards,

Faisal.VT

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As already noted by Gpauwen, unless there's a switch module installed in the router, the router doesn't by default support "switching".

However, possibly it will support bridging (L2) between its routed ports.

Additionally, if you have a switch to connect to the router, a routed port can be configured with subinterfaces that will work with a switch's trunk port (i.e. supporting multiple VLAN interfaces).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card