Views
Helpful
Replies

enable switching on router

CSCO12798688
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I can't create interface Vlan on my new Cisco1941 router as i understand for this switching functionality should enable but i really don't know how

my router came with built in ipbasek9 and with securityk9 license key and i think now no need any additional license required for switching functionality please help me do this 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As already noted by Gpauwen, unless there's a switch module installed in the router, the router doesn't by default support "switching".

However, possibly it will support bridging (L2) between its routed ports.

Additionally, if you have a switch to connect to the router, a routed port can be configured with subinterfaces that will work with a switch's trunk port (i.e. supporting multiple VLAN interfaces).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

do you have a switch module installed in the router ? Can you post the output of 'show version' ?

Thank you all......

I don't have a switch instead of switch router is directly connected with a windows isa firewall......but i resolved my problem, i configured my interface without vlan.

and it's true i need datak9 license for switching functionality

Best Regards,

Faisal.VT

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As already noted by Gpauwen, unless there's a switch module installed in the router, the router doesn't by default support "switching".

However, possibly it will support bridging (L2) between its routed ports.

Additionally, if you have a switch to connect to the router, a routed port can be configured with subinterfaces that will work with a switch's trunk port (i.e. supporting multiple VLAN interfaces).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card