Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding the IMEI number from a Cellular 3G router card

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Forum

I am working at a client site today. This specific client has decided to replace their legacy 2600 branch office routers with newer 1921 ISR G2 routers as they move from a Legacy Frame WAN to a MPLS network with a different provider.

The backup in the former scenario was actually an ISDN solution.  Moving forward, the provider has sold them a 3G backup solution.  To support this, we have purchased Cisco line cards for the 3G.  The part number for the cards is "EHWIC-3G-EVDO-V=".

I was asked by the client this morning if there was a way to tell what the IMEI number for the 3G card was.  I performed a sho inventory, as well as a sho hardware, but I do not see this IMEI number.  I also checked the label on the packaging box that the cards came in, but do not see this number.

Is there a way to tell what this number is for each card?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

21 Replies 21

Something is learnt every day, excellent explanation by Marco.

I've also rated your post for what is worth (+5), to partially balance the ones left by someone that has been a tad too quick in low rating posts from a knowledgeable and dedicated person like you are.

Marco

Thanks for everything.  Easy mistake to make I would say.

Kevin

Thanks man! 

jamiegrive
Level 1
Level 1

Bizarre, I get my IMEI on my 819 ISR G2 using that. Is your 3G connection up and working successfully?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

No it is not.  We have a series of these 1921 routers that are replacing legacy 2600 boxes, as the client migrates away from its Frame Relay with ISDN backup, towards an MPLS over Frame solution with Wireless replacing ISDN as the backup option.

These routers will start to be installed next week at our remote sites.

I am thinking at this point that we do not (at least on this project) have to use the IMEI number.  A collegue of mine had asked me what it was for documentation purposes.

Thanks Jamie

jamiegrive
Level 1
Level 1

Bizarre, I get my IMEI on my 819 ISR G2 using that but we have different modems internally I believe. I'll see if I can get hold

of the UK equivalent EHWIC and see if I can find it anywhere. It's a shame that the output is not very uniform across platforms.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I would agree with your statement that it is indeed a shame that output is not a little more consistent.

Thanks again

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card