Views
Helpful
Replies

Help on router choice

dali difallah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, here is my network :

Due to a some trouble I observed (You may have a look at https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3600027#3600027  )

I plan to replace the RV042 v3 IP:192.168.3.1 by a more reliable router.

I have a cisco 861 router but I was unable to assign adress to FE0-> FE3 (it says that it's an L2 and since can't have an IP).

So I guess (I may be wrong) that I does'nt fit my needs.

What is the best model to choose for the usage I need ?

depending on price I may have to choose between Gb and FE interfaces.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have a look on the 891 or the 1921

Don't try to put your ip on interface F0 to F3, yes they're L2 interface. IP goes on the interface vlan. (L3)

The wan interface (F4) is a L3 interface but you could create sub interface and route multiple vlan on it...

That's true on all the 861 and 881.

Have fun...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, try "small business - routers". You can move the post using the control panel on the right.

I'm trying to replace the 192.168.3.1 router by another one, a better one, that is able to do Gb Lan routing,

For that I'm asking , you experienced , what is the suitable router to pick.

thanks

you can use a cisco881 router.

it has two lan ports.

1 for LAN

1 for WAN

both are FE.

In fact there's no WAN in my case, if I can assign IP adress to interfaces, (I wasn't able in the 861 model, it return error message telling me that i can't do that in L2 interfaces) it's possible.

Is that the case of 881 ?

And what about Gb model ?  witch one could be suitable ? can I  use only the LAN interfaces ?

Thanks

Have a look on the 891 or the 1921

Don't try to put your ip on interface F0 to F3, yes they're L2 interface. IP goes on the interface vlan. (L3)

The wan interface (F4) is a L3 interface but you could create sub interface and route multiple vlan on it...

That's true on all the 861 and 881.

Have fun...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card