cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help setting Cisco SM-ES2-24-P switch module to factory default

Clay Plaga
Level 3
Level 3

I have a Cisco SM-ES2-24-P switch module installed in a Cisco 2911 router. This is for my test network. I have completed the initial configuration and I can console into the router and access the switch module.  When I consoled into the switch module, and then ran the enable command, I see enable has a password on it. How do I reset the SM-ES2-24-P to factory defaults or clear the enable password?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TJ-20933766
Spotlight
Spotlight

Step 2 and on is within the switch so make sure you have the "switch:" prompt. If you're not at the switch prompt, try the following command:

service-module gigabitethernet x/0 session

What you are doing is renaming the configuration file located in the flash so that when the switch boots and looks for the file named "config.text", it will not find it because it's name is now "config.text.old". So the command is:

rename flash:config.text flash:config.text.old

You are correct that the command is just "boot" which will cause the switch to actually boot up and look for that config file for which we have renamed so it can't find it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

TJ-20933766
Spotlight
Spotlight

Have you tried doing a password reset of the etherswitch module with the following command on the router? (x=slot number of router where the service module is installed):

router# service-module gigabitEthernet x/0 password-reset

After you get access to the switch module and are able to get into enable mode, try doing the following command which will return the etherswitch module to factory defaults:

Switch# write erase
Switch# reload

Thank you for your assistance. I have never done this before. I ran the password-reset command, and I am trying to follow the instructions from the link you provided. I am in the recover from a lost or forgotten password section. I am stuck on step 3. After entering : rename flash

It says:

switch: rename flash
usage: rename <old_name> <new_name>

What do I type here?

And then I do not understand step 4. Do I just type:

Boot

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much. Yes, I was successful at resetting the enable password, then deleting the vlans and setting the switch module to factory defaults. I used the information in the link you provided with information from another site and I got it to work. I need to ask another question. I have a Cisco 2811 that has a NAT configuration on it. How can I tell if the NAT configuration is dynamic or overload?

Thanks again.

Probably the easiest way is to look at the running config for a NAT statement that says "overload". Additionally you could use the command "show ip nat translations" and view what the router is actually doing.

TJ-20933766
Spotlight
Spotlight

Also, check out this Cisco document on the process of Recovering From a Lost or Forgotten Password: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/eesm/software/configuration/guide/ISRG2_config.html#pgfId-1000324

TJ-20933766
Spotlight
Spotlight

Step 2 and on is within the switch so make sure you have the "switch:" prompt. If you're not at the switch prompt, try the following command:

service-module gigabitethernet x/0 session

What you are doing is renaming the configuration file located in the flash so that when the switch boots and looks for the file named "config.text", it will not find it because it's name is now "config.text.old". So the command is:

rename flash:config.text flash:config.text.old

You are correct that the command is just "boot" which will cause the switch to actually boot up and look for that config file for which we have renamed so it can't find it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card