Helpful
Replies

Help With HSRP

kelvinboar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me here

I have 2x3945 routers i'm trying to get HRSP to work on. The configuration looks fine & i can see the active & standby router. But when i pull the cable the standby router first changes to active as it should, but then the interface shuts & then HSRP goes into the init state?? has anyone ever had this before? I have double checked my config of an old 3745 & worked fine. And i have set up our new 3750 switches with HSRP & they work fine. But no matter what i do on the new 3945's once that interface shuts HSRP stops working, which sort of defeats the object of HSRP.

Thanks in advance

20 Replies 20

Talha Ansari
Level 1
Level 1

I think this clarifies the mystery..

If you are "directly" connecting both the routers through a single cable then both router's gig ports are bound to to go down once you unplug any one side. Connect some l2 switch or hub in between and then test HSRP as Jon suggested.. !!

Regards,

Talha

Hi

Ok thanks for all the help, but i have had 2x3750's connected via EIGRP to the routers & had the same issue. And when i pull the cable it would be the same as a router failing & prompting HSRP to kick in. If the router dies there would be no hello packets!! And that is also the point of the hold down timer, remember if the hold down timer misses 3 it prompts the device to change state to active.

But to confirm i have just configured the routers & switches again & i still have the same result. And i have tested the same config on different devices & it worked everytime.

Hi Kelvin,

pls share us the network diagram with complete connectivity & your clear objective i.e What exactly you want to test in the topology??

Hi

I have uploaded a basic network diagram, for testing this is close to how the network is configured. I have to have full redundancy, as this is an emergency call centre. I will also have IP SLA running on the routers to detect  WAN failures

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

As pointed out by other, this is the result when routers are directly connected to each other. As You can see from Your own output

R2#
*Mar 28 03:48:54.790: %HSRP-5-STATECHANGE: GigabitEthernet0/2 Grp 1 state Standby -> Active
*Mar 28 03:48:57.182: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/2, changed state to down
the interface goes down when you unplugged the cable ( or even if you do shutdown).

The diagram you send still shows that there are a cable directly connected between the routers.

You have to connect this cable to the swithes, so when you pulled one cable out from live router the redundant router still have its cable connected to the switch, and the interface will stay up.

/Mikael

Hi

You are on about the U design; i need the triangle design as this needs to be as fault tolerant as possible with the fastest recovery possible, as this is an emergency call centre. I'll log a call with Cisco as i think there's something wrong with the IOS as i haven’t got the full set of IP SLA commands either. I have read somewhere what could be the issue, but I will confirm with cisco & update.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card