Views
Helpful
Replies

help with new home lab routing

yossryhelal
Level 1
Level 1

please help setup the home lab to the home modem and router

If I want to practice on static routing , do I need to subnet real ip addresses that assigned to my router? I already have the starting ip address and the end too, or I can subnet any ip addresses, I am really confussed and if I can all of the devices connected to the home ISP router which is (WISE TIGER - WT-RT8501) please help me with steps to follow from connecting the devices together into the steps to static routing between two laptops and the network lap

Thank you 20230710_002735.jpg

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @yossryhelal,

Do you have a network topology with laptops, your home Lab (router/switch) and you ISP router? 

You mean by "real IP add." the dhcp add. delivered by your ISP router from LAN port?

Thanks.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

I dont have network topology on my laptop , 

and yes this is the lab in the picture plus the ISP modem and (WISE TIGER - WT-RT8501) router connected the to the ISP modem 

I mean by real ip address is do I need to use some of the allowed ip address on my router or I can create my own submask just for practice that has nothing to do with my router allowed IP addresses?

Ok @yossryhelal thanks for that explanation.

You could use your own submask just for practice goal!

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

yossryhelal
Level 1
Level 1

great, thank you!!

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Assuming that your Tiger has working NAT and DHCP, Connect 1 Cisco switch to ISP Tiger modem then connect PC and Cisco router and other switches to that 1 switch so that your IP subnet from Tiger is shared to other PC and router.  I have seen video on how to use real gear with ISP home modem on youtube.

Alternatively, Get Packet tracer from Net Academy for practice first; study CCNA course then move to route ISP thru real router and switches.  Study CCNA course and you can find some examples of ISP for Packet tracer.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card