cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you get more WICs unto a 3925 router?

f.champagne
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have a customer that has an old 3925 router with the following interfaces:

VIC3-4FXS/DID

2x  HWIC-4A/S

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1

2x VWIC2-2MFT-G703

NM-2FE2W-V2

For a totla of 6x WIC cards.  I know we can combine the 2x HWIC 4A/S into an HWIC-8A but it still leaves us with 5 WIC card in a 4 WIC chassis because of the end of sale on the NM-2FE2W-V2 which has been terminated.

This device is in a space and power restricted environment so the quick and expensive solution of getting 2x 3925E would not be feasible.

Is there another Cisco device that would support 5 WIC cards out there?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

jamiegrive
Level 1
Level 1

The 3925 has 4 WIC slots and 2 SM slots - you can get a converter that turns SM into NM (SM-NM-ADPTR) and maybe even one that turns an SM into HWIC too I think (maybe SM-SLOT-DIVIDER, never used it myself) so I don't see the problem?

Jamie Grive wrote:

The 3925 has 4 WIC slots and 2 SM slots - you can get a converter that turns SM into NM (SM-NM-ADPTR) and maybe even one that turns an SM into HWIC too I think (maybe SM-SLOT-DIVIDER, never used it myself) so I don't see the problem?

No, sm-slot-divider is a passive device that does not convert anything.

Regarding the OP question, the 3925 is not an old router. One can use 4-ports T1/E1 cards to increase density, there are also 8 -ports cards in form of network module.

1. Evaluate the existing WIC slots on the Cisco 3925 router to identify available expansion capabilities and ensure compatibility with the desired WIC modules.

2. Conduct a thorough analysis of the business requirements to determine the specific WIC modules needed, considering factors such as network bandwidth, connectivity protocols, and scalability.

3. Acquire the appropriate WIC modules based on the identified business needs, ensuring adherence to industry standards and compliance with the organization's network infrastructure policies.

4. Power down the Cisco 3925 router to ensure a safe and controlled environment for hardware installation and prevent any potential damage to the equipment.

5. Follow the Cisco router hardware installation guidelines provided in the official documentation of bizz, adhering to proper electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions to safeguard the integrity of the WIC modules.

6. Carefully insert the new WIC modules into the available slots on the router, verifying proper alignment and securing each module firmly in place to guarantee a reliable and stable connection.

7. Power on the router and access the Cisco IOS command-line interface (CLI) to verify the detection of the newly installed WIC modules using commands such as "show inventory" or "show diag."

8. Configure the additional WIC modules as per the organization's networking requirements, employing relevant CLI commands to establish interfaces, assign IP addresses, and implement necessary routing protocols.

9. Perform thorough testing of the expanded router configuration, conducting checks for network connectivity, data throughput, and any potential issues that may arise with the newly installed WIC modules.

10. Document the entire process, including the WIC module specifications, installation steps, and configuration details, to maintain an accurate record for future reference and ensure seamless network management.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card