Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect two routers over multiple mobile operators

hoffa2000
Level 3
Level 3

Hi folks

I have a case where one router (R1) is connected to basic land based Internet using static IP. The other router (R2) is connected to Internet using several 3G/4G operators using both static and dynamic IPs.

I've researched and done some testing on how to connect these two routers and have them establish OSPF. The static IPs are easy using GRE but what about the providers who only give me a dynamic or even NATed IP? What would I look at for them, Performance routing, DMVPN?

/Fredrik

8 Replies 8

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Yes it should be Ok to establish an IPSec tunnel with one point having static IP address and the other is dynamic. Please not this Option allows Only one end to initiate the IPSec to the other end not from both ways.

Unfortunately, DMVPN is an option but not in this case. DMVPN is designed for Hub and Spoke topology not a point to point connection.

OSPF cant be established if the neighbours are not directly connected. 

BR,

Mohamed

DMVPN could be used also in this case. It would be a hub with just one spoke. But the DMVPN overhead is not needed in this case.

Good to know that GRE header is not required for VTIs. Apparently, OSPF is carried over IPSec natively in this case. I had always assumed there is a GRE header by default when using tunnel interfaces.

Regards.

GRE is the default encsulation for tunnel-interfaces. But there are multiple options to modify that.

rais
Level 7
Level 7

DMVPN is an option where you can use:

tunnel source <interface-name>

for your GRE tunnel.

HTH.

Hello
DMVPN is applicable,

I have installed such via a 4g solution  for some spoke sites with a dynamic ip addressing, the DMVPN Hub headend is setup to use Nat-T for incoming connections

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

UPDATE

I uploaded a quick schematic to show what I'm aiming for

I've set up one connection using NHRP and multipoint GRE but that was using only one mobile operator. I didn't get the second operator on the same router to work using NHRP. Is that supposed to work? Isn't DMVPN meant for connecting multiple sites/users to a router using one ISP/user? Encryption isn't a priority.

/Fredrik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card