Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Learn switch ports IP?

ersin erol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

ı want to ask that; On  the switch ı know switch's mac address table.For exaple gi0/11 mac adddres:xxxx.xxxx (show mac-address table).And than ı want to learn this mac adress's IP ?is there command for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

#show mac-address table

Get the mac-adress of devices from here then go to layer 3 device # show ip arp | inc mac-address. Sometimes you might need to ping that ip from layer 3 switch to get the arp.

Thanks

Ajay

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

eric.lovelace
Level 1
Level 1

Do a sh arp | inc the mac address and it will tell you what ip is associated with that mac. If the neighbor is another Cisco device and you have cdp enabled do a sh cdp neighbors.

Unfourtanately 1.step:Login the Switch and than show inter gi0/1 status and than ı have seen the mac adress.Then I wrote show arp | inc mac adress. But I Haven't seen where is my wrong?

sh interface g0/1 status should not show you the mac address for that interface.

If you are looking for the ip address of an interface do a sh int g0/1 or a sh ip int br g0/1

Show IP arp will get you arp on Layer 3 device could be layer3 switch /router /firewall. So make sure where is your gateway interface vlan / interface with IP address.

Thanks

Ajay

I see,ı understood that but mine question is different ı wanted to learn that..After #show mac-address table command.There are  mac-adresses.After I saw this command:Can ı write a command,from the table any mac adress's to learn it's ip?

#show mac-address table

Get the mac-adress of devices from here then go to layer 3 device # show ip arp | inc mac-address. Sometimes you might need to ping that ip from layer 3 switch to get the arp.

Thanks

Ajay

chris.macleod
Level 1
Level 1

If the ip / MAC mapping is not in the arp table I often look for the MAC address in our DHCP servers lease list.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card