Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Learn switch ports IP?

ersin erol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

ı want to ask that; On  the switch ı know switch's mac address table.For exaple gi0/11 mac adddres:xxxx.xxxx (show mac-address table).And than ı want to learn this mac adress's IP ?is there command for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

#show mac-address table

Get the mac-adress of devices from here then go to layer 3 device # show ip arp | inc mac-address. Sometimes you might need to ping that ip from layer 3 switch to get the arp.

Thanks

Ajay

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

eric.lovelace
Level 1
Level 1

Do a sh arp | inc the mac address and it will tell you what ip is associated with that mac. If the neighbor is another Cisco device and you have cdp enabled do a sh cdp neighbors.

Unfourtanately 1.step:Login the Switch and than show inter gi0/1 status and than ı have seen the mac adress.Then I wrote show arp | inc mac adress. But I Haven't seen where is my wrong?

sh interface g0/1 status should not show you the mac address for that interface.

If you are looking for the ip address of an interface do a sh int g0/1 or a sh ip int br g0/1

Show IP arp will get you arp on Layer 3 device could be layer3 switch /router /firewall. So make sure where is your gateway interface vlan / interface with IP address.

Thanks

Ajay

I see,ı understood that but mine question is different ı wanted to learn that..After #show mac-address table command.There are  mac-adresses.After I saw this command:Can ı write a command,from the table any mac adress's to learn it's ip?

#show mac-address table

Get the mac-adress of devices from here then go to layer 3 device # show ip arp | inc mac-address. Sometimes you might need to ping that ip from layer 3 switch to get the arp.

Thanks

Ajay

chris.macleod
Level 1
Level 1

If the ip / MAC mapping is not in the arp table I often look for the MAC address in our DHCP servers lease list.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card