cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to measure amount of traffic (bandwidth), consumed by certain application (Skype f.e.) on branch router?

jan.mierczi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am assigned to very interesting case in my company: my mate from VoIP telephony team asked me to determine how many bandwidth is consumed by Skype audio traffic. Let's say I need to know how many bit/s or Mb/s in average and in peak. It will used for QoS adjustment or so. 

"We need to know average and peak bandwidth usage"

What tool does provide us with such capability?

How can we register utilized bandwidth for certain application? (To see output either in bandwidth or any other allowing us derive this information)

Hardware:

• ISR2911/K9 (IOS Version 15.4(3)M4)
  • ISR4331/K9, ISR4321/K9, ISR4351/K9 (IOS 15.5(3)S4b)
7 Replies 7

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I saw these articles on Friday. However, I am confused about config. I am missing enough skill to compose config. I would appreciate if you could briefly explain how to compose config for that. 

The second question: how to derive output over there?

Perfect, thank you! It seems the best reply.

However, could you explain me please how can I see output? How can we see results of this "capture"?

We use Solarwins Netmon.

Currently my router is sending logs like:

PL#sh run | sec flow
flow exporter EXPORTER-1
destination x.x.x.x
transport udp XXXX
flow monitor MONITOR-1
exporter EXPORTER-1
record netflow ipv4 original-output
!

Problem is that I cannot derive output for port ranges.

Is it necessary means that we need register a call to Solarwins so that they change Netmon?

I am not sure about netmon, we use NTA work great. not sure how far you can customise.

but i have done some work for one of the client, customisation using elastic search. ( ELK) can deliver same what you looking for.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
AVC
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card