cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to reduce timing in bgp load Balancing or Transferring

damcotech
Level 1
Level 1

How to reduce timing in BGP load balancing or transferring. When my primary ISP goes down, it getting 60 Sec timing to transfer with other ISP. Kindly suggest how can I reduce this timing in BGP settings.

Regards,

Mukesh

3 Replies 3

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Annu,

The default Holdtime for BGP is 60 seconds with the Dead Time being 3x(Hello) so 180 seconds by default or 3 minutes.

I would do the following.

1. Reduce the keepalive/holddown time to a smaller number (Not to small, to that you have lots of flaps due to this)

2. Implement BFD.

Hi Mukesh,

Considering BFD is a good option.

As John mentioned if we modify the timers without proper study if yout network it might lead to flaps. I have seen people using hello/hold timer of 1/3 with BGP and complaining about flaps.

Take a look at BGP PIC for IP/MPLS and see if it can help you. But I believe it is available on high end platforms.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/15S/configuration/guide/BGP.html

Thanks,

Madhu

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

The others have given you good suggestions. I would just like to mention that any network convergence event is heavily dependant on getting link down on the interface.

If you get link down on the interface then the next-hop would be invalid and convergence can take place and install other routes into RIB/FIB.

How are you connected to the ISP?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card