Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remove a BGP route from a summary

Kevin Brennan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is it possible to use a prefix list to remove a specific network from a summary advertisment that was received from a BGP peer?

Example:

I receive 192.168.0.0/22 from an EBGP peer. I want to filter out only 192.168.0.0/24 whilst still allowing 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.3.0/24.

Can a route map help? Can I remove the summary inbound and replace it with a non-summerised list of routes and then use a prefix list?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I said you could use a filter to deny the specifics of the summary understanding that obviusly you are receiving specific routes of the summary. However, if you are just receiving the summary and not the specifics and you would like to inject specific prefixes from the aggregate, you could do de-aggregation with a BGP feature called Inject-Map. It all depends what are you trying to achieve.

Best Regards,

Jose.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello

I assume you are not advetising the aggreegate with the  summary-only commands?
( aggregate-address 192.168.0.0 255.255.240 0 summary-only as-set)

try this: if not using summary-only

access-list 10 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

route-map SUP permit 10

match ip access 10

router bgp xx

neigbour xxxx suppress-map SUP

try this: if  using summary-only

access-list 10 deny 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 10- permit any

route-map UNSUP permit 10

match ip access 10

router bgp xx

neigbour xxxx unsuppress-map UNSUP

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Kevin,

Yes, you can use a filter like prefix-list/route-map/distribute-list to filter a specific prefix. I would use a route-map because gives you more flexibility and it is easier to maintain.

In case you are going to generate the aggregate and do not want to advertise a specific prefixes, you could use the methods proposed by Paul, ( except that in the first case the suppress-map is applied with the aggregate command and not with neighbor... ), but I suppose that you just want to deny a specific prefix.

Best Regards,

Jose.

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I don't see how you could filter routes that don't even exist. You only know about the /22 prefix not about the /24s so you can't filter those /24s.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

I said you could use a filter to deny the specifics of the summary understanding that obviusly you are receiving specific routes of the summary. However, if you are just receiving the summary and not the specifics and you would like to inject specific prefixes from the aggregate, you could do de-aggregation with a BGP feature called Inject-Map. It all depends what are you trying to achieve.

Best Regards,

Jose.

Hi All,

Thank you for the assistance. Inject-Map can help me out here.

Regards

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card