cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup RV340 Bridge using a PPPOE WAN Connection

dleppelmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for guidance/recommendations on setting up a RV340  in bridged mode with ISP PPOE connection.  I have found separate Cisco articles on how to setup PPPOE & Bridge, but need to know what is recommended when using both.  The ISP PPOE connection assigns an IP to the router that is a different subnet from our Static IP block that I need to make available on the other side of the this router. I think I can set this up using the hardware DMZ, but was wondering if using bridge would be a better approach?  Thanks in advance for your help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dleppelmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your responses guys but I've come up with an alternate  configuration solution on the Sonicwall that eliminates the need for the RV340 in between.  I'm all set now, thanks.

View solution in original post

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

This is just in case somebody would want to use the RV340 in this scenario

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ISP Modem >>>>RV340 >>>>Sonicwall 

>>>PPPOE ISP assigned IP (WAN1): 111.222.333.444
>>>Public Static IPs allocated by ISP: 111.999.888.73/netmask 255.255.255.248

>>>Need to pass all  traffic through the Cisco RV340 to the SonicWall which uses those public static IPs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the RV340, do the below to solve the above:

1. configure the Hw-DMZ in WAN/Hw-DMZ page

a) Select "Subnet" option, and click "Yes" on the warning page

b) Enter your subnet provided by the ISP that is used by the sonicwall router...

c) click on Apply and do a permanent save

2. Connect the Sonicwall wan interface to LAN4 port of the RV340 (which will become the Hw-DMZ port when enabled)

thats it, it will work as required

Br

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello

Can you post a topology diagram on what you are trying to accomplish, be most better to provide an answer if we can visualize it.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul,

Really the only thing I need the Cisco RV340 to do us authenticate and establish the PPPoe connection, and pass all the inbound/oubound traffic through to the SonicWall. 

Example.

PPPOE ISP assigned IP (WAN1): 111.222.333.444
Public Static IPs allocated by ISP: 111.999.888.73/netmask 255.255.255.248

Need to pass all  traffic through the Cisco RV340 to the SonicWall which uses those public static IPs

ISP Modem 61.61.61.61 > >><<<Cisco RV340 WAN1:111.222.333.444 >>><<< Sonicwall Firewall (static IPs 111.999.888.777/netmask 255.255.255.248)

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is PPPoe example :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/Configure-PPPoE-WAN-Settings-on-the-RV34x-Router.html

Not sure same IP can extend using bridge to other device (or am i miss understood the requirement)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes that is the article on the PPPOE setup , and I've read this one on the Bridge setup, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/Configure-Bridge-Settings-on-the-RV34x-Router.html

but doing both does not seem to work in this situation.

dleppelmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your responses guys but I've come up with an alternate  configuration solution on the Sonicwall that eliminates the need for the RV340 in between.  I'm all set now, thanks.

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

This is just in case somebody would want to use the RV340 in this scenario

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>PPPOE ISP assigned IP (WAN1): 111.222.333.444
>>>Public Static IPs allocated by ISP: 111.999.888.73/netmask 255.255.255.248

>>>Need to pass all  traffic through the Cisco RV340 to the SonicWall which uses those public static IPs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the RV340, do the below to solve the above:

1. configure the Hw-DMZ in WAN/Hw-DMZ page

a) Select "Subnet" option, and click "Yes" on the warning page

b) Enter your subnet provided by the ISP that is used by the sonicwall router...

c) click on Apply and do a permanent save

2. Connect the Sonicwall wan interface to LAN4 port of the RV340 (which will become the Hw-DMZ port when enabled)

thats it, it will work as required

Br

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card