cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Implementing QoS across a 6509 switch pair!

andy roles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.  Thanks viewing my post!

I'm trying out some QoS configuration for a VDI deployment and have a problem with our 6509 switches not marking the traffic (possibly user error)..

As VDI solutions don't seem to have the ability to mark traffic at the server or client (unlike phones system server/clients etc) I've had to resort to marking traffic on the access switches.

At the moment, as a test, I'm just trying to mark telnet traffic with a dscp value of 34 (af41).  I am seeing hits on the access-lists but the policy-map PCoIP_Set_AF41 doesn't seem to be setting the dscp value to 34 as I want.

Please could somebody advise where I'm going wrong or provide some troubleshooting tips?

Thank you,

Andy

access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq telnet

class-map match-all PCOIP-IN
  match access-group 100

policy-map PCoIP_Set_AF41
  class PCOIP-IN
   set dscp af41

interface Vlan33
 description ....
 *** output omitted ***
 standby 33 preempt
 service-policy input PCoIP_Set_AF41

I put this post up the other day but it didn't make it to a conclusion.

Joseph D kindly made the suggestion that further configuration may be needed.  Joseph's comment was as follows:

"On a 6500, if you use a VLAN based policy, I believe you're supposed to configure the physical port to use the policy attached to the VLAN interface.  You can also apply policies, I also believe, to the physical interfaces, but with pre-sup2Ts, you exceed some QoS limits if you don't use VLAN based policies."

I tried configuring the service-policy on the physical port that my PC is connected to but didn't have any success.

The two 6500s connected vai a port-channel have the same VLANs across both switches and SVIs with HSRP configured.  Does anybody know what further configuration is required to make the traffic marking possible?

Any help or discussion re. this is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

I think what Joesph was saying is you need to apply vlan based qos and to do this you need to apply - mls qos vlan based on the interface trunks

traversing in your case vlan 33

int xx ( trunk links)
mls qos vlan based

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hello

I think what Joesph was saying is you need to apply vlan based qos and to do this you need to apply - mls qos vlan based on the interface trunks

traversing in your case vlan 33

int xx ( trunk links)
mls qos vlan based

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card