Helpful
Replies

interface is shutdown,why do I see a static route in the routing table

ohchan
Level 1
Level 1

HI

router interface is shutdown,

why do I see a static route in the routing table?

Does the flow control command affect it?

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For static Route does not matter either interface is down or up, its static route behavior wrong in your case ( apologies for the confusion created here ( Coffee Time))  - may be stuck somewhere, or looks bug for me. what is the version of code?

Another close look at your output, Hope top of the output from the different device right ? 

how does your topology looks like ?

check show ip cef (what is the output here ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi Which platform do you see this behavior on ? Might be router specific. The ones I have tested, if the interface is down, any static route pointing out that interface (next hop or physical/logical interface) disappears from the routing table.

That said, @ohchan , which router platform is this on ?

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Georg says a static route should be removed from the routing table if the interface used to reach the next hop IP is down unless you use the "permanent" keyword which you don't seem to have used here. 

The prompt suggests this is a 2900 router, can you confirm this is a physical device and can you post full routing table ? 

Jon

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

As already stated, the route should disapear if the interface is down, but there are situation when the route is still active. This is when the next hop is still in the routingtable. This can be if another router is still connected to that network , and distributes the routes. So the router sees the next hop is reachable and therefore installs the static route.

/Mikael

dear mlund

When I ping from CISCO 2921 to the next hop, the ping never reaches the next hop IP.

Physically connected, but logically shutdown.

I want to reboot the device, but the customer is using the device.

Hi mlund, I am having this issue of having another router connected to the network running OSPF and redistributing the static routes. The current router which interface is down is still seeing the static routes. How do I stop redistribution of static routes to other routers connected to the current router (which interface is down)?

Hello

@ohchan wrote:

HI

router interface is shutdown,

why do I see a static route in the routing table?

Does the flow control command affect it?

TBH you shouldnt really see that route as it tied to a physical interface that is in a down state as such that static route should be removed from the rtrs rib table.

Have you tried clearing the rib table?
clear ip route *

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I wonder if the entire issue is IOS/platform dependent. I have not tested this on any 17.x release, but according to @balaji.bandi :

--> For static Route does not matter either interface down or up, its static route thats the behaviour.

Maybe it is the new, default behaviour on the newer platforms...

Themax20
Level 1
Level 1

Try to use the interface as the next hop instead of the IP address.

Check this article. Hope it helps. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/floating-static-route/118263-technote-nexthop-00.html

What you dont show is if 1.1.1.x is still being seen by the router, show the full rib table.
Disable source-routing also, its not required

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card