Helpful
Replies

IOS vs Performances

Didier1966
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Just a quick question :

If I have a ROUTER with "Advanced Enterprise Services" and I ONLY need Basic IP Connectivity for Data , will a "Enterprise Base" version go faster ?

Sorry for this stipid question , I will attend my CCNA / CCNP Training in October.

Best Regards,

Didier

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Didier,

This is a very interesting question - absolutely not a stupid one!

It has always been my personal opinion that different feature sets of IOS within a single version do not have different performances. I have not noticed any notable performance differences between different feature sets of a single IOS version for a particular platform. Of course, configuring additional features may slow down the router (think IP Inspect, ZBFW, etc.), but simply having a bloated IOS should not slow the router per se.

What may be worth taking into account is the memory consumption. Fully featured IOSes naturally consume more RAM even if the additional features are not configured. If your required functionality calls for lots of RAM, running the Advanced Enterprise Services will unnecessarily consume the available RAM.

Please do not take my answer here as being definitive. I would like to read opinions of other friends here as well!

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Not strange, check attached document.

BTW 100 Mbps is really fast even for 2012.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Didier,

This is a very interesting question - absolutely not a stupid one!

It has always been my personal opinion that different feature sets of IOS within a single version do not have different performances. I have not noticed any notable performance differences between different feature sets of a single IOS version for a particular platform. Of course, configuring additional features may slow down the router (think IP Inspect, ZBFW, etc.), but simply having a bloated IOS should not slow the router per se.

What may be worth taking into account is the memory consumption. Fully featured IOSes naturally consume more RAM even if the additional features are not configured. If your required functionality calls for lots of RAM, running the Advanced Enterprise Services will unnecessarily consume the available RAM.

Please do not take my answer here as being definitive. I would like to read opinions of other friends here as well!

Best regards,

Peter

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it will not go faster.

It is not even said thye teach this stuff in traning.

Thank You Both for your fast responce

The reason for this question I have a CISCO 1841 with "Advanced Enterprise Services" on it and when I connect my computer DIRECTLY to the ISP MODEM I have a 96 to 98Mb/s (TELENET BELGIUM ISP) , when I connect my computer behind the CISCO 1841 , I have ONLY 47 to 50Mb/s ?!?

IP CEF is ENABLE !!!

With a consumer ROUTER CISCO WRT610N , I can not see any differences with or without this router.

Really strange.

Best Regards,

Didier

Not strange, check attached document.

BTW 100 Mbps is really fast even for 2012.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

I was looking for this kind of table , this is perfect , thank you

This is the result with the cheap CISCO WRT610N :

Best Regards and Thank You again for the PDF,

Didier

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card