Views
Helpful
Replies

ip ospf network command

paoloraimondi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

When do we use the following ospf commands?

I've been working within GNS and it seems that ospf automatically recognizes, based on the media type, what the network type should be..

So, I don't understand why these commands exist?

1) Broadcast (Cisco Extension)

2) non-Broadcast (RFC-compliant mode)

3) Point-to-multipoint (RFC-compliant mode)

4) point-to-multipoint non-broadcast (Cisco extension)

5) POint-to-point (Cisco extension)

Do they exist more for a Frame Relay purpose

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

they exist to change the default network type that the device configured on the interface, for example:

-loopbacks are treated as stubs so they are advertised with a /32 by default and if you want to override this then change the network type

-you have 2 routers connected via an ethernet link so change the network type to be point-to-point as here you don't need any DR/BDR

-you have a frame-relay config with devices having different but compatible network types but the adjacency doesn't come up because of different hello/dead timers then either change the network type to modify these timers or change the hello/dead to be equal.

I'm sure that you'll find other usages for these network types.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

they exist to change the default network type that the device configured on the interface, for example:

-loopbacks are treated as stubs so they are advertised with a /32 by default and if you want to override this then change the network type

-you have 2 routers connected via an ethernet link so change the network type to be point-to-point as here you don't need any DR/BDR

-you have a frame-relay config with devices having different but compatible network types but the adjacency doesn't come up because of different hello/dead timers then either change the network type to modify these timers or change the hello/dead to be equal.

I'm sure that you'll find other usages for these network types.

Regards

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card