Helpful
Replies

IR809 - Lost configuration after reboot

Niklas.D
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i Just hade a router ir809 

Cisco IOS Software, ir800 Software (ir800-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.9(3)M4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

we use the LTE to connect to our WAN, there was a issue with the ISP and it lost conntact. 

we hade around 100 routers, IR809, IR807 and IR1101 loose connection, all we could do was reboot and the router would reconnect to the LTE network. 

Not this router, it was rebooted and when accessed with Console the start-up config was gone. 

i have hade this issue on the IR809 platform before, one time. but never on this version.

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure are this stage, if the configuration write, it should come back with known config.

show version ( check the config regstry) - if the registry changed , some time it can not hold the config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji

Seems like the router is useing 0x102 

i did some spot test and all my ir809 is useing this, the IR807 and IR1101 is "Configuration register is 0x2102"

should it be 2102 instead ?

x102 should be ok and should boot as expected, until something gone bad.

Do you have backup ? no backup at all, if you lost, you need to build back to recover network connectivity or raise TAC case to investigate for you, what ever works easy.

my suggestion build small config same and reload see is the config holds ?

here is the codes my my notes :

Configuration Register Setting Router Behavior
0x102
  • Ignores break
  • 9600 console baud
0x1202
  • 1200 baud rate
0x2101
  • Boots into bootstrap
  • Ignores break
  • Boots into ROM if initial boot fails
  • 9600 console baud rate
0x2102
  • Ignores break
  • 9600 console baud rate default value for most platforms
0x2120
  • Boots into ROMmon
  • 19200 console speed
0x2122
  • Ignores break
  • 19200 console baud rate
0x2124
  • NetBoot
  • Ignores break
  • 19200 console speed
0x2142
  • Ignores break
  • 9600 console baud rate
  • Ignores the contents of Non-Volatile RAM (NVRAM) (ignores configuration)
0x2902
  • Ignores break
  • 4800 console baud rate
0x2922
  • Ignores break
  • 38400 console baud rate
0x3122
  • Ignores break
  • 57600 console baud rate
0x3902
  • Ignores break
  • 2400 console baud rate
0x3922
  • Ignores break
  • 115200 console baud rate

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is an interesting discussion. As I read the posts I wondered if this is a remote location and if so that could complicate the effort to troubleshoot. Then I reread the original post and saw "Not this router, it was rebooted and when accessed with Console the start-up config was gone." So there is console access and that is very helpful.

Just to verify: using console access for show version and the config register is 0x102 and when you attempt show startup the config file is empty.

I have experienced the symptom that booting the router results in an empty config. But that usually turns out to be that the config register was 0x2142 (typically as the result of a previous password recovery). And changing the config register to 0x2102 (or to 0x102) would result in booting a complete config. But that seems not to be the case here.

I have also experienced the symptom that booting the router results in an empty config. And the reason sometimes was that the startup config really was empty. This is typically the result of configuring the router and shutting it down without doing a copy run start (or the equivalent write mom). But if this router was configured, shut down, given to the installation team who took it and booted it successfully and it ran for 305 days then it must have had a startup config when it got to the site.

One thought that occurs to me is the possibility that someone did access this router while it was running at the remote site and for some reason erased the startup config. Is that perhaps what happened?

The other possibility that occurs to me is that somehow the power problems corrupted the startup config. That would seem highly not likely but perhaps possible. If you do have the ability to open cases with Cisco TAC it would be good to open a case and see what they have to say.

HTH

Rick

Yes they are remote site, so i dont get the chance to check the config after the first reload from the on site technichan
but i got this Router deliverd to me and have the chance to look at it.

Might be tampering, but i feel that likley hood  to be very low. 

The Routers are keept in locked and larmed cabinates. and the problem did only accur after a major ISP problem. 

my leaning is as you think also that its something with the Power and maybe uptime? maybe a memory leak or something that only shows it self after a set amount of up time + a power faliure as the technichan on site dont have CLI access and will reboot via turning off the power. 

I have a few IR809 on bench and will config them and turn them on and see if i can trigger it. 

yes i think this is a TAC problem. just hope i can trigger the problem somehow to show it   

Hi 

thank you for the reply 

I already deployed a IR807 to replace the Router 

And i deployed the old IR809 Router, and am runing a smal config on it (dint have time to setup a full config) 

reloded (cut the power this is how they do it in the field) no issue with reloading the new config.

And will try to replicate the problem. 

My think is it might be a bug and it will only show it self after a fixed amount of up time. 

Is the config there if you do a "show start"? If it is then it is almost certainly the config register. I don't have an IR809, but I do have an IR829. It reboots correctly and loads the startup config with a config register setting of 0x102.

Hi there Elliot

No when i boot it up its blank.

So just to be clear. 

We config the router, we unpower it and hand it over to the installation team (electrician)

The router booted up and was up for 350 days.

The ISP LTE network hade a outage and the team that works at the remote site, cut the power and forced a reboot. 

no config after that. 

I tested it on the bench and did a new reboot and the config is still there. 

Do you have TAC support? I don't have an answer for you, and that is not the behavior I see with my IR829.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: