cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4221 can't enter global configuration mode

tbyers0
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased four brand new ISR4221 routers as part of an Academy lab set up. I can get them to boot fine, can enter user exec mode and privileged exec mode. However, when I try and enter global configuration mode, I get a command not supported error message. I also get that message if I issue a copy run start or erase startup config command. I am stuck at this point. I have worked with Cisco routers for 20 years and have never had any of them act this way. I have searched the blogs and the internet and cannot find a solution. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

39 Replies 39

Thanks for the update. Thanks for sharing the solution that works for you.

HTH

Rick

mnael.aljabri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I had the same problem also and found that the router has a SD--WAN image try this command in enable mode: 

controller mode disable

and answer "confirm" twice.

After reload the router you should able to enter the configuration mode

BR

Nael

Nael

Thanks for sharing your experience with this problem. Several earlier posts in this discussion have identified the issue of an SD WAN image and access to config mode. Did your experience with controller mode disable also involve a new image (standard image) or are you still using the original (SD-WAN) image?

HTH

Rick

I ended up replacing the IOS image on all ours.

Hi Richard, 
after disabling controller mode i could entering the configuration mode and i replaced the image by using standard one 

Regards, 

Nael

Nael

Thank you for confirming that your solution was both disabling controller mode and running a standard IOS image.

HTH

Rick

Rick, 

our task were to change the SD-WAN image on the router to standard IOS image to do that i was not able to going in the configuration mode with the SD-WAN image. When i type „configuration terminal“ got an error message this command isn’t supported. So in this case i have disabled the controller mode with the command „ controller mode disable „ then hit enter twice and reload the router. After that i could go normally in configuration mode and change the IOS version to standard one as requested. 
 Regards 

Nael

Nael

Thanks for the additional explanation.

HTH

Rick

claude.karemera
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Kumar,

I am facing the same issue... can you please help me to share the image.

Thanks

hello team,

anyone with the image?... please share it... I have cisco ISR4221 and is currently running with SD-WAN image.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card