Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR Hardware Throughput

hs08
Spotlight
Spotlight

HI.

As we know for ISR4000 series there are hardware throughput level, if my hardware license now is 100Mbps this mean 100Mbps for all port or for each port?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recall, for the ISR 4000 family (may be different for ASR 1K), it's the aggregate of all traffic that would cross the data plane.  I.e. more-or-less, aggregate of all interfaces RX, or all interfaces TX, but not both.  (Remember, [ignoring ACLs, shapers, policers, etc.], RX traffic becomes TX traffic, on the same device.)

I also recall, the license doesn't immediately drop overrate traffic, it shapes it.  (At least that seems to be what https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers/217135-performance-license-on-cisco-isr4000.html documents.)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@hs08 wrote:
if my hardware license now is 100Mbps this mean 100Mbps for all port or for each port?
100 aggregate (total) throughput (input + output).

The router will "down-rate" to process only 100 Mbps traffic.  

So let say i have 2 port (for LAN and WAN) and the hardware license is 100Mbps.

When the WAN traffic reach to 50Mbps for rx and this traffic routed to LAN interface (WAN rx is 50Mbps and LAN tx is 50Mbps) this mean the license reach the maximum limit?

Combined throughput (input + output) must not exceed 100 Mbps. 

Example, 98 Mbps download + 2 Mbps upload.

Also combined with other port? Or each port having 100 Mbps dedicated speed?

You mean the device inside port to port that is different, the one given exmaple leaving from router and coming to router.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

HI @balaji.bandi 

let say we have 3 interface utlization like this :
gi0/0/0 - 50Mbps
gi0/0/1 - 40 Mbps
gi0/0/2 - 30 Mbps

and the router hardware license is 100 Mbps, with that utilization are we will have bottleneck because 100 Mbps license is for all ports?

yes correct - that will be over subscription. and packets will be dropped.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recall, for the ISR 4000 family (may be different for ASR 1K), it's the aggregate of all traffic that would cross the data plane.  I.e. more-or-less, aggregate of all interfaces RX, or all interfaces TX, but not both.  (Remember, [ignoring ACLs, shapers, policers, etc.], RX traffic becomes TX traffic, on the same device.)

I also recall, the license doesn't immediately drop overrate traffic, it shapes it.  (At least that seems to be what https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers/217135-performance-license-on-cisco-isr4000.html documents.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card