Views
Helpful
Replies

IWAN - Hub Master and Border on Same Router

ryan3kip
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

From the documentation, it is stated that the HUB master should be on a separate router from the border. My question is whether the setup with the master and border on the same router will work.

Also, in the current iwan version 2.1 can I have multiple transports i.e multiple MPLS connections on the same border router and setup pfr across these links.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello.

Configuration on HubMC+HubBR on the same box is not recommended because of scalability limitation. Also it has not been tested (but you may try and face an issue one day).

Two colours (WAN tunnels) must not be terminated on a single Hub BR in iWAN 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.1

It's in road-map for 2.2 (expected autumn 2016).

View solution in original post

Hello.

iWAN 2.2 is targeted for the March 2017.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Hello.

Configuration on HubMC+HubBR on the same box is not recommended because of scalability limitation. Also it has not been tested (but you may try and face an issue one day).

Two colours (WAN tunnels) must not be terminated on a single Hub BR in iWAN 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.1

It's in road-map for 2.2 (expected autumn 2016).

Thanks Vasilii.

Just as a follow up, say in a scenario you have two border routers connected to a WAN aggregation switch, does the Master controller influence how the Border routers advertise the routes to the WAN aggregation switch in order for switch to forward traffic to the correct border router

Hello.

It's not the case with PFRv3.

In PFRv3 if traffic arrives (from LAN) at "wrong" BR, it's tunnelled to another BR.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. We have a setup with two border routers each terminating MPLS connections from our six different service providers. Each branch has MPLS connections for any two of the service providers based on the presence of the Service provider at at the branch location. We have 4 DMVPN tunnels at each branch - two on SP 1 (to BR1 and BR2) and two on SP 2 (to BR1 and BR2). I have uploaded the diagram.

Do you have any idea of how I can do the Pfrv3 setup given the limitation of one transport (SP) per Border Router at the Hub site.

Hello.

Sounds like you have 6 DMVPN clouds.

So, every DMVPN cloud (on Hub) should be a coloured interface - > so you need six Hub BR devices (because you may terminate only one tunnel per Hub BR).

As an option you may put extra routing layer between PFR BRs and clouds - but this would complicate the design a lot and may make PFR completely useless.

Hi vasil, 

I have exactly same case

What happen if i using 1 hub router for multiple transport mpls? 

I already tested in my lab environment, its works

The next step i will implement iwan in production, but i am become worry after read this page. 

Hello.

It's not supported and you may have any kind of problems on the BR as a result.

The plan is to add multiple WAN interface support for iWAN 2.2, that will be available around September 2016.

Hello,

I communicated with the Cisco PDT team. Version 2.2 is not released yet. They are saying tentatively end of October

Hello.

I think this information is not precise.

I've heard, that updated information should be published soon (1-2 weeks from now).

Hi,

Are you aware of any progress as far as the IWAN version 2.2 release.

Hello.

iWAN 2.2 is targeted for the March 2017.

Thank You

Hello.

Just an update - iWAN 2.2 is supported on 16.3.3 and 15.6(3)M2 or higher maintenance releases. It means it's not supported on 16.4.x or 16.5.x

iWAN 2.2.1 was targeted to 16.6.1 and 15.7(3)M

Thanks mate

how many dmvpn tunnel termination on 1 hub router?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: