cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Keep VLAN Tags between 1921's over T1?

ADynes
Level 1
Level 1

I must be doing something wrong.  I am looking to transfer 3 VLANS (10, 20, and 30) over a T1 point to point using Cisco 1921 routers.  I do not want to "Bridge" the connection, one location has a 10.1.0.0/16 subnet and the other location has a 10.2.0.0/16 subnet because we don't want to saturate the already slow link.  I tried the instructions here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml  but it didn't seem to work.

With these routers couldn't I create the three VLAN's then tell the GigabitEthernet0/0 interface it's a trunk port?  Or do I setup sub interfaces (.10, .20, and .30) for each vlan?  I've tried all of the above and I can't get it to work.  I can directly plug into the router and ping the other router on the other side of the T1 but I can get the info comming from my Dell PowerConnect 6248 (plugged into a trunk port) to go through to the router which is why I think it's a vlan issue.

-Allan

17 Replies 17

Yes but if you still can't ping something, ain't done yet.

I'm sorry....can you expand on that?  Right now I can ping what I believe is everything I need to:

From the router console to all three VLAN IP's on the Dell switch

From the dell switch console to all three sub interfaces on the router

From a computer plugged into one of the VLAN ports on the switch I can ping all three sub interfaces on the rouer (again routing is enabled on the switch)

My tracert from the PC (10.2.10.240) to the router shows this:

complete

So it seems the swtich is routing my request to the other vlan then to the router which responds.  Am I missing something? 

My misunderstanding then.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card