Helpful
Replies

L2 over L3 Creation

Hamada Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have two sites with distance 200KM,

Each site has ASR1000 series, For Vmware needs and Vmotion , we need to have same subnet in both site (subnetX)

so I need to create VXLAN L2 over l3 .

Note:- Both ASR router in each site will act as L3 Gateway for another external AS.

Is this solution possibel?

and is distance can effect the L2 Tunnel?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Let me address at my best

1- if use BGP-EVPN , Did Distance can effect ,I think no , it's doesn't matter 300KM or more or any, right?

- Distance does not matter - as Long as Optic can able to support.

2-If use BGP-EVPN , in each site this router can act as VTEP and also as L3 gateway with another router in third site or need to configure also VTEP between all sites to reach this subnets X in site A and site B from site C?

- i suggest making a differentiate interfaces or different device, rather than mixing topology to complicate - when they using the interface for egress and ingress.

3- In this case all device under router should be in L2 connection, right?

- again you need to make a small digram and understand how you want to achieve this, we can only suggest technically based on the information. once you make traffic flow and what interface use for what need to correctly defined, if not things will go wrong and disaster sometimes.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to some search on  DCI Stretch VLAN over L3 network

options available

LISP

OTV

Fabricpath

So you look for the configuration examples around cisco based on the hardware you have on both ends, without breaking exiting environment, test PoC for some VLAN before deploying Live environment VLAN.

BB

Hi balaji.bandi

But why you didn't mention the BGP-EVPN?

also if use OTV, one router can be like OTV gateway for the site and in same time normal Gateway L3 for the same site (mean L3 Out to enable the external world reachability).?

Sure EVPN can be used - depends on what kind of Underlay transport you want to used based on the use case (as I have stated)- I have suggested what best.

also if use OTV, one router can be like OTV gateway for the site and in same time normal Gateway L3 for the same site (mean L3 Out to enable the external world reachability).?

You can use the device to act as AED, this is to use to ship your Layer 2 VLAN to another side.

BB

Thanks for your reply .

But I have three concerns

1- if use BGP-EVPN , Did Distance can effect ,I think no , it's doesn't matter 300KM or more or any, right?

2-If use BGP-EVPN , in each site this router can act as VTEP and also as L3 gateway with another router in third site or need to configure also VTEP between all sites to reach this subnets X in site A and site B from site C?

Let me address at my best

- Distance does not matter - as Long as Optic can able to support.

- i suggest making a differentiate interfaces or different device, rather than mixing topology to complicate - when they using the interface for egress and ingress.

- again you need to make a small digram and understand how you want to achieve this, we can only suggest technically based on the information. once you make traffic flow and what interface use for what need to correctly defined, if not things will go wrong and disaster sometimes.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card