Replies

Limiting of bandwidth for customers out of 2 upstreams

knowledgecom
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 upstreams out of the Data Center:

1. To ISPs
1. To other Data Centers via Layer 2 dark fiber

I would like to limit the bandwidth of customers going out of 2 upstream.

What would be the best way to do this? Would placing a switch in between be the best option to control traffic to clients? Or would using the 6500 be enough, thinking of other solutions as I would not like to create a bottleneck here.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

what hardware and IOS do you have ? Is there a PFC in the 6500 ? Post the output of 'sh version', as QoS depends on software and hardware specs...

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)SX7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.1(2)SY9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Would you recommened that I do; UBRL, SVI policing, SRR/WRR on the 6500. 

Or to place something in front of it. xxx.jpg

Attached pictures of the hardware. 

1.jpeg2.jpeg

Hello,

depends on what you want to mark, if it is simply IP traffic, you could use policing (example below, limits IP traffic for customer 1 to 50Mbps):

ip access-list extended CUSTOMER_1
permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

class-map match-all CUSTOMER_1_LIMIT
match access-group name CUSTOMER_1

policy-map CUSTOMERS
class CUTOMER_1_LIMIT
police 50000000 1562500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Check the document below for reference:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/qos.html#wp1725812

Hi

There are 2 ways to limit the bandwidth, using police and shape.

Police will work dropping packets if they exceed the limit configured and it can be configured IN or OUT under an interface.

Shape will work creating a queue to forward packets and avoid to exceed the limit, It can be configured for outbound direction only.

Please check this link:

http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/jul/30/policing-versus-shaping/

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

As far as I recall the 6500 does not support shaping, unless have optical or FlexWan modules installed...I could be wrong and they mighy have added that recently...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card