cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost Password 871W

tomf
Level 1
Level 1

I could not log into the 871 (client had no password). I could not get the config-register setting. After resetting the password (I had to set the config-register to 0x142) I can no longer get the router to boot correctly (goes into RMON). Does anyone know this setting? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NL

There is a way to generate a break using the space bar, but In my experience trying to reset with the space bar is a bit more complex than just holding the space bar. First set your terminal emulator to the lowest speed that it supports (frequently 1200). Then power cycle the router. As it power cycles press the space bar (I generally hold it longer than 15 seconds). Then release the space bar, set the speed of your emulator back to 9600, and the router should be in rommon.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

TO MAKE A PASSWORD RECOVEY YOU MUST BE DIRECTLY CONSOLED TO THE ROUTER.

POWERCYCLE THE ROUTER AND ENTER THE BREAK SEQUENCE

?CTRL+BREAK or CTRL+BREAK+F6?

?Power cycle the router, and press the space bar for 15 sec?.

YOU WILL BE IN ROMMON MODE:

rommon 1>confreg 0x2142

rommon 2>reset (if no reset powercycle the router)

YOU WILL BE ASKED TO GET IN THE CONFIGURATION MODE, TYPE NO

Enter in the configuration mode? N

press return go get started

Router>enable (It won?t ask for password, if it does go back to step 1)

Router#show start

HIGHLIGHT EVERYTHING AND MAKE A COPY OF THE CONFIGURATION INTO A NOTEPAD (this is very

important, it?s to do a backup of your configuration, just to have it in case something goes wrong)

Router#copy start run

(destination file run: press enter)

Router#

Router#config t

Router(config)#no enable secret

Router(config)#no enable password

Router(config)#line vty 0 4

Router(config-line)#no login

Router(config-line)#no password

Router(config-line)# exit

Router(config)#line con 0

Router(config-line)#no login

Router(config-line)#no password

Router(config-line)# exit

Router(config)#config-register 0x2102

Router(config)#exit

Router#write mem

Router#show ver **** (make sure that the config register is set to 0x2102)

Router#reload

Confirm with reload? Y

Check out below link for password recovery - 871 router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045d284.html#wp1038210

Hope it helps you..plz rate it and let me know the result.

Thanks,

satish

Hello Satish

Thanks so much. I knew the procedure what I was missing was the correct config-register which you provided (0x2102). I used 0x110 which was posted somewhere in reference to "800 Series" routers. I used 2102 and everything works fine now. Thanks for the quick response!

tom farkas

Hi there,

im having an issue with an 871w, im trying to recover a lost password, im consoled to the router, but im on a linux system (ubuntu) to be more specific. my problem is that the break sequence does not work.

iv tried power down and power up the router and then hit the "Ctr+Break" and nothing, "Ctr+Break+F6" nothing, only Break key and nothing, tried the "space" key fro 15 seconds and nothing. can you please help me out here?

NL

NL

There is a way to generate a break using the space bar, but In my experience trying to reset with the space bar is a bit more complex than just holding the space bar. First set your terminal emulator to the lowest speed that it supports (frequently 1200). Then power cycle the router. As it power cycles press the space bar (I generally hold it longer than 15 seconds). Then release the space bar, set the speed of your emulator back to 9600, and the router should be in rommon.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hey thanks Rick that worked like a charm, im happy

That was a nice tip by the way, nice one, never tried this one before.

Thanks a lot Rick,

NL

NL

I am glad that my suggestion did work for you. Thank you for posting back to the forum indicating that it did solve your problem. This may help to guide some future readers of this thread to a solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

No problem Rick and i know how important that is to everyone else, specially for people who have the same or similar problems. i know how deep into the "frie pan" iv been before in many ocasions so i know how important that is. Thanks fro your brief reply to, appreciate it.

regards,

NL

try this link...you will find a series of key stroks to diferent emulators and what not... ......   I hope it helps you to recover your password.....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

Best regards

Willy

Thanks for the tip willy but iv tried all those unix/linux sequences before i posted here, none seam to work on this 871w though.

last time i had a similar problem was with a 3640, again in my linux client, cant remember which sequence i had to do really, but i think it was in that page you posted.

Thanks for your help willy,

regards

NL

I must to overlook your earlier replys.......... but i'm glad you have achived success.....

Willy

Thank you..! got my password taken care!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card