Views
Helpful
Replies

ME3800X software upgrade

netone.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I need to do a software upgrade of a ME3800X since current version (12.???) doesn't support policing on priority queues. I want to go for 15.???. I can't find information on how to upgrade but I know its different from the simple copy image file and reload. Or is it? The support page only has hardware installation guides.

I also need to know If the upgrade implies any kind of "re-licencing" or are they totally independent.

Regards

Mario

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've just finished upgrading my ME3800X IOS from 12.X to 15.2(4)S1.  It's as simple as either you copy the BIN file across or you use the TAR file.

To use the TAR file, the command is:  archive download-sw tftp:///IOS_filename.tar

Your license will remain as it is and won't change.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've just finished upgrading my ME3800X IOS from 12.X to 15.2(4)S1.  It's as simple as either you copy the BIN file across or you use the TAR file.

To use the TAR file, the command is:  archive download-sw tftp:///IOS_filename.tar

Your license will remain as it is and won't change.

Thanks lelolahoo,

I'll give it a try

MP

Thanks for the ratings. 

Just tested the upgrade. worked flawlessly (although it took to long and got me shaking a bit).

I also found where is the information. It is all under chapter "Working with the Cisco IOS File System, Configuration Files, and Software Images" in the software configuration guides

Regards

Mario

Are you upgrading IOS on appliances straight out of a box?

Sorry I dont understand what you mean by "straight out of a box". They are new switches not yet in a production network. Im set up ftp server on my computer and using ftp download

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

They are new switches not yet in a production network. Im set up ftp server on my computer and using ftp download

Don't do that.

I'll show something really "funky" and make you look good.   If you have NOT put any configs on the ME-3800X, I recommend you look into ZeroTouch.

Check it out. 

Leolaohoo, I'll find you and give you a prize Very useful information. I was getting sad when I didn't see the ME3800X on the list but the WTF section did the trick hehehe.

I'll try it and post in the document's replies.

Glad to see you like it.

Now show it off to your boss and watch him go "WTF!".

In our demo, I had a director switch and about 6 switches fresh from a box.  Plugged everything in (console, ethernet links) and powered the new switches simultaneously.

Sure, the bootup process bored everyone else to tears but that was part of the demo.  Then they all saw the logs coming into the director and then things start to "move".  They were floored.

About 12 months later, Cisco SE came and was highlighting some stuff to impress our new manager and they mentioned about this.  And our small team blurted, "we got this working about  8 months ago".  Should've seen the look on everyone's face.  LOL

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card