Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS over DMVPN traffic engineering

clukongo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to set up traffic engineering on a DMVPN network. Please Can someone help me find the commands to enable this feature on an mGRE tunnel. I found how to do it on a point to point GRE tunnel but I'm having trouble setting it up on an mGRE tunnel Thank you in advance for your response.

Regards,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @clukongo ,

you can use MPLS TE only within the OSPF area that is enabled for traffic engineering:

in your case looking at London configuration we see that:

>>router ospf 10
router-id 10.0.0.12
redistribute connected subnets route-map CONNECTED_to_OSPF
network 10.0.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 10
network 10.0.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 10
mpls traffic-eng router-id Loopback0
mpls traffic-eng area 0
!

So your MPLS TE enabled area is area 0.

But your mGRE tunnels are in area 10 .

You need to extend area 0 to the DMVPN to be able to use MPLS TE over it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we need to know more information, how your network connections, is the Dual Links ? do you have a small digram and what you looking to do with TE, what basis?

some use case here  for reference :

https://flylib.com/books/en/2.686.1/case_study_5_implementing_dynamic_layer_3_vpns_using_mgre_tunnels.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your feedback.
Here is a summary of what I'm looking to do :
It is about a DMVPN Hub and spokes on which I applied MPLS in order to be able to forward 2 types of flow (IT and OT).

The DMVPN is a Dual Hub - dual Cloud type architecture.
The 2 Hubs are Paris and London and the Spokes are PNR, Douala and Rio.

I now want to do traffic engineering by creating MPLS TE tunnels that will pass through the 2 mGRE tunnels (tunnel 1 and Tunnel2) in order to be able to better manage the bandwidth by doing load balancing on the 2 MGRE tunnel.

To understand the process I'll start by applying the following traffic engineering on one of the spokes (eg PNR):
- Tunnel 1 and Tunnel 2 will have a capacity reservation of 100M each (RSVP-TE protocol).
- I want to create MPLS-TE Tunnels which will allow to make a reservation of 20M for the traffic of the VRF IT and 20M for the traffic of the VRF OT
- These 2 flows must be able to switch to tunnel 2 in the event of saturation or failure of Tunnel 1

Please find in attached files the MPLS over DMVPN configurations of my 5 devices as well as the physical diagram.

Please let me know if you need more information from me.

Chris LUKONGO

Hello @clukongo ,

you can use MPLS TE only within the OSPF area that is enabled for traffic engineering:

in your case looking at London configuration we see that:

>>router ospf 10
router-id 10.0.0.12
redistribute connected subnets route-map CONNECTED_to_OSPF
network 10.0.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 10
network 10.0.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 10
mpls traffic-eng router-id Loopback0
mpls traffic-eng area 0
!

So your MPLS TE enabled area is area 0.

But your mGRE tunnels are in area 10 .

You need to extend area 0 to the DMVPN to be able to use MPLS TE over it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Indeed you are right, it completely escaped me that I had different areas, I think I must have a problem with my eyesight

This cannot indeed work with this configuration. Thank you very much for for noticing this error, it will help me a lot as I wouldn't have thought of looking at this.

I will correct this and keep you informed as soon as possible.

Rgds,

Chris LUKONGO

Hi Giuseppe, Balaji,

I just retested and it works.

The problem was the difference in areas in the ospf process.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Rgds,

Chris LUKONGO

Nice and glad to know all works and thank you for the feedback.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Giuseppe, Balaji,

As I said in the previous exchanges I had succeeded in making the tunnel go up in P2MP mode with the configuration in the PNR_1 file (screenshot Test_P2MP_1).

However I have 2 problems:

The first is that despite the fact that the TE tunnels are up (Tunnel 101 and 102), it does not indicate that it is in service as it does not appear as next hop for the routes to the other sites (screenshot Test_P2MP_2).

I noticed a couple of things that make setting up TE P2MP tunnels difficult for me. For example the tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce command which allows the tunnel to be announced in the IGP (ospf-TE in my case) is not supported in P2MP and seems to have to be done otherwise.
If someone can tell me what is missing in my conf (PNR_1) for tunnels 101 and 102, it will help me a lot for the rest of my project.

The second problem is:
Following the problem encountered with the P2MP, I wanted to just use PtP tunnels between the SPOKES (PNR and DOUALA) and the HUB (PARIS).
The Tunnels go up well to the level of the SPOKES (PNR and DOUALA).
I then assigned these tunnels to 2 VRFs (IT and OT). VRF IT uses Tunnel 101 and VRF OT uses tunnel 102.
The traffic goes well between the SPOKES and the HUB. For example the VRF IT of PNR manages to join the VRF IT of PARIS and the VRF IT of DOUALA also manages to join the VRF IT of PARIS.
On the other hand, the VRFs cannot be reached between SPOKES (i.e. the VRF IT of PNR cannot reach the VRF IT of DOUALA.

Can you tell me what I'm missing? Is it absolutely necessary to create TE Tunnels on the HUB to make the SPOKES communicate? How to do?

Please find in attached files all the files mentioned.
Let me know if you need more information.

Rgds,

Chris LUKONGO

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card