cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS unicast IP forwarding

Ali Norouzi
Level 1
Level 1

I've MPLS unicast IP forwarding applicationn on Cisco router. Now I  want to have same on Juniper M series routers. The Juniper is PE in my  network and OSPF and LDP is running on it. It learns and advertises the  lables correctly. Learned routes are even installed on inet.3 routing  table. But the problem is that there is no lable in inet.0 routing  table. So when ip traffic ingresses the router, it forwards it to  next-hop without lable. Do you know how I can forward those incoming  packet with MPLS lable to next-hop?

Thank you,

3 Replies 3

Mani Ganesan
Level 4
Level 4

what do you mean by --  the problem is that there is no lable in inet.0 routing  table. So when  ip traffic ingresses the router, it forwards it to  next-hop without  label.

If the device learns and advertises labels correctly, if the next hop interface is an MPLS enabled interface, it has to do label switching.

Could you eloborate the problem with the necessary outputs like LFIB table.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ali,

what you see is the normal behavior of a Juniper M router.

there are some commands that can be used to achieve the use of the LSP for IPv4 packets with destination = LSP destination the best choice should be:

config

edit protocol mpls

set traffic-engineering mpls-forwarding

However, if you define a L3VPN service you can see the use of the LSP on this service without using the above command (VPNV4 packets will use the LSP even without the command above)

see

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.0/information-products/topic-collections/config-guide-mpls-applications/frameset.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

juniper router by default advertise only labels bind to it's loopback address, the received label are installed in extra routing table inet.3 which is ONLY

used by bgp, in other word, only bgp next hop address will have mpls label switched path, wihich is all you need for mpls l3vpn, or any prefixes advertised using bgp. this is different than cisco LDP "announce any and use mpls for any" behavior.

HTH

Guan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card