Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Turn on

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Dear All,

I would like to ask about multicast.I have one DC and one branch.My branch have 10 vlan and using one router and one switch. I am using VPN and eigrp route to carry traffic to DC.DC have one router one firewall and one switch.All switches are layer 2 switch.no need to configure and it is using for performance. Is it correct? 

L2Sw---router-->VPN<---router---firewall---L2switch

I would like to know one of my vlan are using for vedio streaming. Do I need to turn on multicast?

In Cisco document said L2 switch carry all multicast traffic are carried by default.

I donot need to configure to carry my eigrp advertising multicast also .

Let me is it different?

I reference below reference link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipmulti_igmp/configuration/xe-3se/5700/imc-igmp-xe-3se-5700-book/imc_constr_sw_eth_nw.pdf

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
PIm will run over the top of the dmvpn network by enabling it on the tunnel interfaces as shown it the previous post.

Regards the network performance well extra traffic will utilize the network but I guess you'll need check this against any baselines you may have but using pim sparse mode wouldn't be as resource intensive as pim dense mode which would flood the network for MC receivers, Pim sparse wont to this it will only forward MC traffic after it receives a request to do so.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello
If the MC stream is due to crossover the vpn then you'll probably need to enable ip multicast and allow pim and mc through your Firewall

One way would to enable ip pim spare mode on your tunnel interfaces on all the routers and the L3 interfaces of your vlans that wish to receive MC traffic.
You could use auto-Rp  for the required RP and have this located on the same rtr of your source mc stream (first hop router)
Lastly and additionally enable ip pim autorp listener to the others devices so to enable RP discovery.

Example:
MC source-L2Sw---router1-->VPN<---router2---firewall---L2switch-MC recipients

L2Sw

ip multicast-routing distributed
ip igmp snooping
ip igmp snooping vlan xx
no ip pim dm-fallback
ip pim autorp listener

int vlan xx
ip pim sparse-mode

router1 (first hop rtr)
ip multicast-routing
no ip pim dm-fallback

int tun xx
ip pim sparse-mode

int xx
description lan facing interface
ip pim sparse-mode
exit

int lo0
description RP address
ip address xxxx
iip pim sparse-mode

ip access-list standard MCgroup
permit 224.1.1.0 0.0.0.255

ip pim send-rp-announce lo0 scope 10  group-list MCgroup
ip pim send-rp-discovery lo0 scope10

router 2
ip multicast-routing
no ip pim dm-fallback
ip pim autorp listener

int tun xx
ip pim sparse-mode

int xx
description lan facing interface
ip pim sparse-mode
exit

L2switch
ip multicast-routing distributed
ip igmp snooping
ip igmp snooping vlan xx
no ip pim dm-fallback
ip pim autorp listener

int vlan xx
ip pim sparse-mode

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

hi ,

Thanks for your explain.Let me know I am using DMVPN phase 3 with EIGRP, do I still to enable multicast ? It will be effect my network performance or any impact? It will be effect to other van?

Hello
PIm will run over the top of the dmvpn network by enabling it on the tunnel interfaces as shown it the previous post.

Regards the network performance well extra traffic will utilize the network but I guess you'll need check this against any baselines you may have but using pim sparse mode wouldn't be as resource intensive as pim dense mode which would flood the network for MC receivers, Pim sparse wont to this it will only forward MC traffic after it receives a request to do so.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: