cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT over OSPF interface (CISCO ROUTER C8500L-8S4X)

penguinunix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just want to know how can I apply ip nat outside on interface with OSPF enabled:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
description P2P_to_R2
ip address 10.62.1.1 255.255.255.252
ip ospf 10 area 0
negotiation auto
!

--------------- OSPF config ---------------

router ospf 10
redistribute connected
redistribute static route-map PERMIT
!

I want to perform NAT on interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1 with OSPF enabled on it. Tried this config:

description P2P_to_RouterX
ip ospf 10 area 0

+++ ip nat outside
negotiation auto
!

But the OSPF status turn to DEAD.

My goal is to perform NAT from interface Tunnel that has ip 10.255.255.0/24 need to be translated to 10.62.1.1 when accessing the local IP address on interface with OSPF enabled.

Just for info, I also have ip nat outside enabled for Interface that is connected to INTERNET:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
description to INTERNET
ip flow monitor LOCAL input
ip flow monitor LOCAL output
ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.248
ip nat outside
negotiation auto
!

My Tunnel configuration:

This is my Tunnel Config:

interface Tunnel01
description GRE-TUNNEL
ip address 172.16.20.2 255.255.255.252
tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/0
tunnel destination X.X.Y.Y
!

---------------------------------------

ip route 10.255.255.0 255.255.255.0 Tunnel01

---------------------------------------

IP 10.255.255.0/24 is from outside network that is routed through the Tunnel01.

This is the simple diagram that I can give:

INTERNET (PUBLIC IP: X.X.X.X)  ---------------->| GigabitEthernet0/0/0     Router1    GigabitEthernet0/0/1 |  ---> OSPF (R2)

TUNNEL (GRE TUNNEL 10.255.255.0/24) -------->| Tunnel01                       Router1     |

Scenario: ALL ACCESS FROM 10.255.255.0/24 to Local IP on the OSPF network need to be translated using ip 10.62.1.1

NOTE: I have no access to change any configuration on R2

The reason that I want to apply the new configuration since the network 10.255.255.0/24 need to access the local ip on the other R2 network, I can't change any configuration on the R2, and I need to use the existing IP on the R1 (10.62.1.1) so the network 10.255.255.0/24 can access the local ip over the R2 network.

10.255.255.0/24 is an ip that is not allowed to be distributed over the OSPF network, so it need to be NATed using ip that is allowed (10.62.1.1)

Any help would be appreciated, since I have trying different config but no success.

58 Replies 58

Interesting, so the access list rule specified only the ip that would be translated to the destination only.

Just curious, can you post your ip nat outside on Gigabit0/0/1 and show ip interface Gigabit0/0/1 to verify?

I will try this one on the next Sunday, and let you know the result.

Dear @penguinunix ,

Will send the update soon if time permits me, as the virtual lab I created is inaccessible due to power outage (sad.. I left the eve-ng nodes running..) : D

HtH

Ouch that sad, hope that you can recover the configuration. 

Hello

@penguinunix wrote:
 @bbb bbb has simulated this on lab with interesting result. Will try the solution and see the result on the next Sunday.

As per the last vCFG i posted, you should have deleted both SASE and PERMIT acls and recreated them, did you do that?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Already did that, and still got DEAD/INIT state on the OSPF.

Friend again why you
1-not config router-id

2-add deny ospf any any to the INTERNET/INTERNET2 ACL in top 

the issue is somehow the NAT change the router-ID and this make issue with R2

MHM

As I informed, I have tried

1 setting router id to Low (using ip address on the ospf enabled interface)

2 already did that and get the same result.

Second point I see line of deny ospf is after permit traffic l' I clearly suggest add deny ospf in top of acl' dis you do that?

MHM

Yes, I have tried all the suggested configuration here, and still OSPF state turn to INIT/DEAD as soon as applying ip nat outside.

Share last config of NAT ACL

And I will check how we can deep debug the hello or adj packet 

MHM

This is the latest NAT ACL applied:
10 deny ip host 10.62.127.1 any
20 deny ospf any any
30 deny gre any any
40 permit ip 10.255.255.0 0.0.0.255 any
50 permit ip 10.255.254.0 0.0.0.255 any

Latest router-id config applied:
router ospf 10
router-id 10.62.1.1
redistribute connected

Trying OSPF priority:
description P2P_to_RouterGIS
ip nat outside
ip ospf priority 0
ip ospf 10 area 0
negotiation auto
end

Trying route-map:
route-map S_ROUTE_MAP permit 10
match ip address S
match interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1

debug ip ospf hello <<- run this command before and after NAT apply and check the IP address appear in hello message 
share this here if you can 

MHM 

Hello @penguinunix ,

according to the IOS XE config guide you should deny the IP address of the interface where you put ip nat outside so your first line should be:

10 deny ip host 10.62.1.1 any

if it is just an error of typing ignore this comment . OSPF hello packets and OSPF packets are sourced by the IP address on the interface.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello
@Giuseppe Larosa  @MHM Cisco World @bbb bbb 
TBH i do not think the OP is being clear with the topology, based on what they have already posted, this is quite a simple setup pertaining to NAT
If they have implemented the CFG i ask then to do previously then this should work , I have since TS this with a lab and it works accordingly with no need to exclude any OSPF traffic in any ACL.

Based on what the OP has shared:
The back end from R1<> R2 is pure ospf connection which requires NAT (outside) domain applied advertising the "new" inside global IP (10.62.1.100) for translation via redistribution of static via route-map

The GRE towards RTRx is on the inside nat domain.
The physical interface used for the GRE is also being natted but only  for R1s lan subnets, so this should not negate the GRE creation between R1-Rx

As long as the correct ACLs/Route-maps are applied this should work if my understanding is correct ....UNLESS as stated the OP isnt showing the correct topology or any additional features being applied we are not aware of ,as just enabling a nat domain to a ospf interface in this instance should not tear down any ospf adjacency 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card