Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Baseline

AaronRiemer
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I am wanting to perform a baseline of our core network performance. What i am particuarly interested in is how many packets per second the core switches are processing and the current backplane performance. We are using older 3550 stackable switches in our core. I am measuring CPU and interface statistics but I dont think this is providing me with the information i require. The CPU of the core switches sits at a very low 3% on average and looking at the interface statistics i cannot see any drops or failures.

Any advice would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

kyawzawhtut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aaron

You should be very happy and dancing for such a low-traffic network.

By the way, what tool do you use to do monitoring?

You may like to try MRTG [Freeware] or PRTG to monitor things like CPU/Interface utilization, Error rate etc.

Cheers.

Hi kyawzawhtut,

I use cacti and PRTG funnily enough for monitoring. PRTG to monitor netflow information and cacti for the cpu / interface statistics.

The reason i ask these questions is because we are setting up a seperate redundant site and i am trying to toss up whether we should go for a stacked or modular based solution.

Cheers.

I wish someone had a solution for this, everyone talks about how important it is but finding the right tools to do it with seems hard. 

Establishing a baseline for network metrics will typically only come through manual observation. I have also worked on networks where the number of endpoints and flows are strictly defined meaning we could calculate the baseline before we switched the network on.

Once you have a baseline defined a good tool for monitoring is Opsview as it allows your to define alert thresholds for each collected metric, either globally or per-device SNMP OID, alerting once crossed.

cheers,

Seb.

Cheers,

Seb.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: