Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking issue

Randal.b12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am just getting the hang of networking a little and I have encountered some issues that I need help on. We have a W4948 powering a few servers. We just recently got a bandwidth upgrade via our meet me room and we are looking to get it routed properly. Right now we have everything routed over a 100mbps connection on port 47. This new bandwidth is 1Gbps and we have the fiber going through a media convertor copper on the otherside and plugged into port 48. All of the servers are currently assigned IP's through the 100mbps connection. We would like to keep them on the same ip's but also have the ability for them to use the bandwidth on the 1Gbps connection.

How would i go about setting it to be able to use both? Right now all traffic is routed through the switch to the DC's router.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

ravikantt
Level 1
Level 1

HI Randal,

What I understand from above; you want to upgrade your 100mbps link to 1000mbps ( 1 gig), which streched from Sw4948 to DC router, & Servers connected to Sw4989.

In this, don't worry about IP address & all; they're nothing to do with link bandwidth.

just go ahead & replace the link, server must be having static IP(just confirm it).

Chees

Ashok

Its not upgrading the line, its that we have 2 lines. One is a 100mbps the other is 1000mbps. We would like to use both.

okay..!! thats fine; what are make & model of router & switch you are using.... you migh be able to use ether-channel to load balance across both the lines, if your router does support for swithport configuration.

below is link for Understanding the ether-channel:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

For configurations:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/swethchl.html

Cheers

Ashok

markeelen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Randal,
Ether channel is out of the question for this, unless both circuits are the same speed. From what you are saying, I would set up the new circuit routed, you could use route maps to load share, forcing most of your traffic down the gig link, or just use the 100 meg as back up if the gig fails.
There are a number of ways of attacking this problem.
Cheers
Mark

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

For EtherChannel to bundle multiple interfaces speed must be the same and same layer. I see only one option if your DC router is L3 switch you can two interfaces from each side then bundle them to etherchannel groups.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

ravikantt
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah Randal,

I missed-out that speed thing, you won't be able to use ether-channel;

But surely you can use EIGRP, for unequal-cost load balancing, if both cisco devices

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card